Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvdogs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 09:11 AM
    Pay/quit notice
    My tenant has broken the lease and moved out early. I am in the process of getting a new tenant. She still owes me rent for January & February because the lease doesn't expire until July. Even though I already have possession of the property, do I still send the pay/quit notice to include January & February rent/late charges? I don't want to file an unlawful detainer until the home is rented and I know exactly what is owed. I only want to go to court once, if possible.

I live in Virginia.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Did the tenant turn over the keys? Or did she just sneak out? This is key, because unless the tenant formally gave up the unit, then you may not have a right to regain possession. In that case you probably would need to go through the Pay or Quit. But if they gave you notice and handed over the keys, then you have possession. You can then rent the property and after the new tenant has moved in, sue the previous tenant for rent up to the move in.
    luvdogs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 12:51 PM
    She did turn over the keys, so I already have posssession. So, should I not send the pay/quit and just wait to a file an unlawful detainer?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Yes, she formally turned over the property to you, so she already "quit". No need to give her a pay or quit notice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Yes, you need to continue to bill them for all of the rent due, adding late changes. Since this is a on going debt till it is rented, then after you rent it, and all of the charges including late fees are due and not paid. Then you sue them in court for the damages if they don't pay

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

5-day notice to quit or pay in virginia [ 2 Answers ]

In Virginia, is it okay for the landlord's agents to personally serve a 5-day notice to pay rent or quit? Which is proper or improper service: a personal statement certifying proof of service? Registered mail? Sheriff posting notice on the door? All or none of the above?

Tenant not available for the service of Notice to Pay Rent or Quit [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: My understanding is that if a tenant does not pay rent, the next step is to serve a Notice to Pay Rent or Quit on the tenant. I also understand that it is recommended that the tenant be served in person with this notice and/or be served by Certified mail Return Receipt. The problem is...

Virginia Notice to Pay or Quit/Eviction [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a notice to pay or quit last night. Can the landlord evict me on the 5th day or does he have to get a court ordered eviction notice? I reside in Norfolk, VA.

View more questions Search