Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thanksaton Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 11:33 AM
    HIB holder with H4B dependent and a child (US citizen)
    Hello.
    I have been in the US for over 5 years; on an H1B since 2005. This year I find that I am no longer eligible to use TurboTax nor any other online application; GTE offers a 1040NR-EZ but I do not think that this is the appropriate form to fill. As an H1B holder with an H4B dependent (spouse) and a child (US citizen) I think that I should file using a 1040NR. Is this correct?

The 1040NR form asks for several others (eg 8901 for child tax credit). I am finding it a bit confusing.

How much does it typically cost to have a tax expert at H & R Block take care of the filing?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
    No, you should be filing Form 1040 or 1040A.

Costs at H&RBlock vary by city. It will cost MORE in New York City than it would in Austin, Texas due to the higely different cost-of-living for each city.

If you need professional tax help, contact me at the email address below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can F-1 visa holder without earning be a dependent for H-1b visa holder husband? [ 10 Answers ]

I know that the question is kind of strange, but here is my situation. I am having H1b visa at present (moved from OPT to H1b last September). My wife is a student with F1 student visa (in Illinois Urbana Champaign). But she has completed her residential requirement and since last year has been...

Claim GC holder parents as dependent [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I want to claim my green card holder parents as a dependent but they came in August 07to USA and so they are failing substaitial presence test. I am on H1B visa. I think they will be dual status alien. I was wondering is there anyway I can claim them as dependent.

Dependent tax exemption for L1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US in oct 2006 on L1 visa. My wife and son came in Dec. I started paying for their medical insurance since oct. Now I have received my W2 form. Can I claim my wife and son as dependents to get the tax benefit. I assume I need to file 1040NR form filing jointly with wife. Which...

Dependent Tax exmption for H1 visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to start working in USA on H1 visa from October 2007 and my wife will join me later in year 2008. Will I be able to claim for dependent tax exemption for year 2007 and 2008 though my wife joins me in end of year 2008? If my wife also gets H1 visa and accompanies me in year...

HIB holder and income tax [ 1 Answers ]

An HIB visa holder has resided continuously in the US since Oct of 2004. He works for joint-venture and his basic salary is paid in home country (Nigeria) He receives a per diem in the US which is also paid by his employer but paid into his US account. This amounted to $90,000 in 2005. Is he...

View more questions Search