Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cho Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Feb 3, 2008, 04:26 AM
    explain eigen function
    Can somebody explain eigen function and eigen values in very simple terms? :confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cho
    Can somebody explain eigen function and eigen values in very simple terms??:confused:
    Eigenvalues are multipliers. They are numbers that represent how much stretching has taken place or, in other words, how much something has been scaled up by. In the sentence 'I am 3.2 times taller than when I was born' the number 3.2 is acting as an eigenvalue.

To make sense of an eigenvalue it must have an associated 'operation' (the transformation that has occurred) and an associated 'direction' (the eigenvector). It doesn't mean anything by itself to say that 3.2 is an eigenvalue. You need to know the operation 'enlarged' and the direction "up" to say that I am now 3.2 times bigger in the up-direction !

Feb 4, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Explain normalisation constant also
    Expert

Feb 4, 2008, 05:00 PM
    No, I don't think I will explain the normalization so you can follow it. You tell me. It involves something really simple, could be tri dimensional... do you know what it is ?

I did my homework to answer your first question and it wasn't hard at all, but you didn't even say thank you, tickle.

Feb 5, 2008, 07:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    I did my homework to answer your first question and it wasnt hard at all, but you didnt even say thank you, tickle.

I am sorry.very sorry.I'll say nw Thank u.Thank u.Thank u.Thank u,Thank u,Thank u

Feb 5, 2008, 07:57 AM
    explain normalisation constant also.While u are at it help me relate eigen values, vectors... in physics and mathematics
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 03:17 PM
    LOL, cho, okay I will when I get a minute :) if it will help you understand the normalization angle.
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Cho, what the heck are you playing at ? Of course it wasn't helpful, I hadn't gotten around to giving you an answer yet. You didn't say you were in a hurry for heavens sake !

Feb 7, 2008, 04:30 AM
    When are u going t answer?
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 04:58 AM
    I don't feel like I really want to answer that question, cho. You are taking advantage of my good nature. I have a FULL TIME JOB, around 9 hours a day. I come on here for a break and to clear my head. And it works. I already gave you a hint of the answer a few posts ago, to make you think of the answer yourself, but you didn't pick up on it.

Disagreeing to a post of why I couldn't answer at that moment is really unfair, cho.

We usually don't help out with homework questions generally speaking, that is in the forum basics.

Feb 7, 2008, 05:06 AM
    THIS IS NOT A HOMEWORK QUESTION!!!
    I just didn't get the concept while it was being taught in the class.
    No one's compelling you to answer.you could 've ignored my question at first itself.your hint is too vague.I am confused about its application in physics and maths.I couldn't relate both.no one asks definitions in mathematics for homework

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Explain this [ 2 Answers ]

What would you say to someone who is not technically savvy in order to explain how a general model of telecommunications works?

Can anyone explain this? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is sagar. Let me tell you guys that I'm just a crazy fan of cradle of filth.and I've watched their one of the most greatest video Nymphetamine. But I couldn't figure out certain part of their lyrics. Here are they What is the meaning of " white lady laid"...

Could anyone explain? [ 3 Answers ]

When someone sleeps on his/her side,what effect will this have on the person's body? Also when we sleep on our stomach,does this effect our body while we sleep,does it restrict any of our organ functions etc? Another thing I wanted to ask was- When we drink water or other fluids, if we gulp it...

Can You Explain? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, (1 Corinthians 15:12) Now if Christ is being preached that he has been raised up from the dead, how is it some among YOU say there is no resurrection of the dead? John 11:11, 14-44: “ ‘Lazarus our friend has gone to rest, but I am journeying there to awaken him from sleep.’.....

View more questions Search