Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ittybitty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2008, 06:46 PM
    Kitty might have FIP
    We bought a turkish angora 2 days ago from lady who raises them. Kitten had rough start, runt, bottle fed and just finished antibiotics for a cold. Took her to vet today. She has a fever, eyes matt sometimes, she has distended belly. Appetite is good she is playful. He thinks she has FIP. Testing will be around 500.00. FIP is fatal. What should we do?? :
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:25 PM
    I'm not sure what you are asking. Should you have the test done? If I could afford it, I would, just to let you know what you are dealing with. He thinks it's FIP, but what if the test comes back negative? Which is a tack to take if you don't have the money for the test... Ask the vet what the steps would be if the test was negative, and see if they cost less. If so, you may want to do them, and hope for a positive result (since that would indicate that the cat did not have FIP and hopefully the other disease would be easier to treat.) If the cat does have FIP, then there is not much you can do but treat the symptoms and make their life easier for the time you have them.

If you were wondering something else, get back to us with more information.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Feb 5, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Unfortunately, the tests for FIP are not terribly reliable as far as I know. The kitten's belly could also be distended by worms or constipation. Have you contacted her breeder to see if she has had any problems with FIP in her cattery? (not that that would prove anything one way or another, but might give you some insight.) If you continue symptomatic treatment and the swelling resolves, it unlikely to be FIP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seep through FIP connections [ 1 Answers ]

I connected the "Isolator" valve(s) for tankless water heater, the cold water input and the hot water output. The water heater connections are 3/4" males connecting to the FIP of the isolator values, I put teflon tape on the thread, and tighten it very hard, it was so tight that I saw thread of...

My poor kitty! [ 4 Answers ]

My cat is old, he's probably 10 years old, or older. He's always had problems with his eyes and discharge and we've cleaned the goo out of his eyes everyday. It can't be comfortable! Just recently, it's gotten almost red around the eyelid and it's more of a liquid discharge and it looks painful,...

Connect MIP CPVC directly to FIP shower inlet [ 1 Answers ]

Is it safe to connect MIP CPVC directly to the FIP shower inlet? The previous homeowner had done that when finishing the basement. I'm in the process of redoing some of it, but was a bit concerned after a trip to Lowe's. I saw that the MIP CPVC adapter said "cold water" where as the CPVC to...

Help with kitty [ 10 Answers ]

I need some help. My cat has been missing since 8/12. I have posted about 70 LOST signs in the neighborhood, and printed 50 more today that I will put up tomorrow. I have gone to the shelter and looked there. I have searched online on found cat sites. I have posted online lost cat. I put an ad out...

View more questions Search