Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 09:32 AM
    New toilet bowel draining
    My husband set a new toilet let it fill with water flushed it and went to the basement to check for leaks. There were no leaks but when he came back up there was no water in the bowl. He flushed it again and stood and watched it it takes about 3 minutes for the water to drain from the bowl. The water in the tank stays there and does not drain out.
    Does anyone know what would cause this. He called the 1800# and the person did not have an answer. He also spoke to several people but no one that he spoke to has had this happen.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 2, 2008, 11:23 AM
    What brand toilet? Are there any other fixtures running when this toilet spontaneously empties?

Tell you what I think... remove the toilet bowl and set it up on a pair of sawhorses or similar. Then add water to the bowl and see what happens... if it empties there is a hole in the bowl somewhere (in siphon jet is best guess cause you cannot see inside that). There are also toilet bowl plugs that the manufacturers use to plug holes in ceramic... they can fail, too. You would not see leak downstairs as it is leaking into the waste line.

Better yet... just return the bowl... It is defective. It does not happen often... but it does happen. I think this should do it... unless you dropped a rag in toilet and that is siphoning toilet bowl... or something else? Hey let me know what you find... ok..

Also, if this helped, rate the answer by clicking on button below. Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 2, 2008, 11:40 AM
    Once more Massplumber's "bang on" Read on, Sometimes in casting the bowl there is a small bubble in the china. Instead of junking the bowl the manufacture will put a porcelain patch over the hole and send it on through. On occasion the patch will fail allowing the water to seep out of the bowl. If that's the case you would have a full bowl after you flushed and the bowl filled but some time later you would notice a drop in the bowl level. If you're worried about where the water's going, in both cases it drains back down into the sewer and not under the bowl on the floor.
    As Massplumber sez, You have a defective bowl, have it reploaced under warranty! Good luck, Tom
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2008, 11:47 AM
    Per your instructions they are going to pull it out and take it back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow draining toilet [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, A few days ago my toilet started to drain slowly, the toilet releases all of the water from the cistern but it just fills up then drains slowly. So far I have plunged the toilet which has not worked and put a 6ft flexible cleaning rod down which went straight through the pipes no...

Toilet bowel water level [ 1 Answers ]

Why is the water level in my new toilet bowel not staying?

Low water volume in toilet bowel [ 1 Answers ]

11 year old two story house. Three toilets two up one down. The two upstairs (Bemis) are ballcock work fine but the water in the bowels is much lower than what I am used to. Can not add water with bucket the level will still drop to a very low level. Is this due to wrong toilet for upstairs. Is the...

Toilet not draining [ 3 Answers ]

We have just installed two 2-piece toilets. We have an intermittent but regular problem with flushing the toilet where upon flushing you hear/see an airbubble and then the toilets fills with water but the swirling action is only half hearted and the toilet doesn't drain away. A second or third...

Rear draining toilet 2 [ 1 Answers ]

The toilet is a regular style toilet, not a wall mount. The only difference is that instead of the bowl connecting to the flange on the bottom, the hook up is through a 3" framed pipe out the back of the toilet about 8-10" off the floor. It has a regular style tank above the toilet. Not...

View more questions Search