Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmland Posts: 81, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 04:05 PM
    Sounds like it's backfiring but it's not.
    I have a 92 Honda Civic DX. I took it to Honda recently because it sounds like it's backfiring. They told me that it in fact was not backfiring, but it has an aftermarket muffler and that this was the culprit. An exhaust leak in the tubing, and broken baffling was causing this noise apparently. To me it makes me so nervous because it sounds so much like a backfire. I was just looking for an explanation as to why when an exhaust system deteriorates it makes this noise? An explanation would really help to ease my mind. Thanks.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 04:15 PM
    What they told you sounds like one possible reason. The muffler could be getting too much fuel.
    Or you might need a tune up, it could be the ignition coil, or the carborator, or something with the distributor, any of that should be something they would check when doing a tune up.

Jan 30, 2008, 04:30 PM
    I just had timing and coil problems. In the midst of fixing that I replaced the ICM, Coil, Spark Plugs, Plug wires, filters, engine retimed, They rechecked the timing when I went in this last time and it was fine. What else could cause this?

Jan 30, 2008, 04:34 PM
    Oh and it's not carberated its fuel injected.

Jan 30, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Also the aftermarket exhaust is a cheapy... I put it on when I was 16 and just never replaced it to stock. Now that it's been on there 5 years it's getting really irritating... I just want to make sure it's not anything that's going to leave me sit on the side of the road.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jan 30, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Yeah I would say you need to replace the exhaust and see what happens then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Backfiring Rebuilt 12.5hp briggs [ 3 Answers ]

I recently rebuilt a briggs 12.5 hp I/C motor and I can't get it to start. It will rotate but when it tries to start it backfires. I had the whole engine unassembled I'm just wondering what could have went wrong?

Backfiring after stalling on 12.5 yard machine [ 1 Answers ]

Well, I'm scratching my head now. Subject is a Yard Machine 12.5 mower just over a year old. I recently moved (mower included) and the first time I used the mower since the move, after running for about 10 minutes, it died while I was hooking up the yard trailer (mower idling). It just shut off...

BACKFIRING,13hp Murray Riding Mower, Tecumseh Engine [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am having trouble with my 13HP Murray riding mower.Model 40541x99C OHV130-206810D. TECUMSEH ENGINE. First it was backfiring REALLY loud:eek:.. in all gears, all speeds.. I cleaned gas tank, replaced fuel filter, spark plug, cleaned carb, replaced air fiter. The engine: (1) BACKFIRES...

B&S 13.5 OHV backfiring through carb, no power [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 13.5 hp Briggs & Stratton riding mower, it lost almost power and backfires fiercely through the carb at any rev above an idle. I have already replace the head, flywheel key, cleaned out the carb and bypassed the fuel filter. It may have overheated due to a mouse nest found under the cowl....

No Sounds [ 1 Answers ]

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”! Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue. Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory...

View more questions Search