Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GaTech_guy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2008, 02:53 AM
    Resident Alien, F1 student, tax forms W2 and 1099 misc
    Hi guys,

I am a resident alien (in US since 2001 on F1 visa) and currently on F1 status. In Dec. 2007 I worked for a small period and received a 1099 misc. ($500) and other than that I was full time student and got my W2 for the year. I am from India and my W2 is for the GRA work.

My question is if it is legal for a F1 resident alien to file both w2 and 1099-misc?

I read a lot of previous posts but all of them concerned nonresident aliens, so I am not sure if that would change anything in my case.

Thanks for the help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 03:19 PM
    Technically, it is a violation of your visa, but for $500, it is not a major violation, so Iw ould not work about it.

BTW, starting in 2006, you are considered to be a RESIDENT alien. Your non-resident alien status expired on 31 December 2005 due to the five-year rule.

If you filed as a non-resident alien for 2006, you need to fix that.

For 2007, you will file Form 1040 and Schedules C and SE to report the 1099 income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident? F-1 Student with 1099-MISC income [ 6 Answers ]

I realize this is probably a lot of information but I've been on the IRS website multiple times and CANNOT figure out whether I owe taxes: 1. I am currently on an F-1 visa for graduate school in Washington, D.C. - I arrived in the U.S. in Sept 97 on an F-1 visa for boarding high school....

Am I a resident / non-resident alien? What forms do I file? [ 5 Answers ]

I am an Indian national. I came to the U.S in Aug 2004 on an F1 visa. I converted to OPT status on February 13, 2006 and earned substatntial income on this status. My status convered to H1-B valid from 1st October,2006. Do I file dual-status taxes? - does this mean I still get the 4850$...

Resident alien F-1 received W2 and 1099 Misc [ 3 Answers ]

Hello AtlantaTaxExpert, Please help. I am a F-1 student from China. My status is resident alien since I came to US in Sept. 2000. In 2006, I worked for half year at a university (as a research assistant) and half year at a local company under CPT - Curricular Practical Training. I've received a...

Preparing 1099-MISC forms [ 1 Answers ]

I am preparing 1099-MISC forms for the first time. I looked at how our company did them last year and am confused. The IRS instructions say that you are supposed to issue a 1099-Misc for rent payments and this was not done in the past. We pay rent to a leasing company as well as a non-profit...

Non resident alien student with both W2 and 1099-MISC reported income [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a nonresident alien student (under an F-1 visa) and I had a campus job for which I got a wage reported in Box 2 of a W2 form. During the summer, I got a job for which I got a 1099-MISC form (reporting my income in Box 7). As far as I know, I should file a 1040NR form adding a Schedule C-EZ and...

View more questions Search