Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vixagoddess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2008, 03:49 PM
    I married in Nov 2007. Do we file together? He is on an H3 visa
    Hello.

My husband has been in the united states working on an h3 visa from sept 06 until dec 07. We got married in nov of 07. Should we be filing our taxes together, or should we file separately?

Thanks.

Ani
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 30, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Ani:

Are YOU a U.S. citizen or his H-4 dependent?

If you are the U.S. citizen AND you have your own income, prepare the returns BOTH ways and compare.

If you are the H-4 dependent, file jointly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Me on H1B, Got married Nov 2007, Wife on F1-OPT [ 15 Answers ]

Hello, Searching on the group I see some discussion on a similar topic for last year so would like to ask your advice. I have been on H1b visa for the entire year and working in NJ, Got married to my girlfriend on Nov 2007 who is working in NC. She is on F1-OPT since July 2007 so does...

I got married on Nov 1. My house owned before marriage is in foreclosure. [ 1 Answers ]

What are the credit risks to my new husband's credit? I owned the home 10 years before I got married on Nov. 1, 2007 and it went into foreclosure after the marriage. We do not live in this home.

File as married & self-employed: live in NY and do biz in Florida. Where do I file? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY in the beginning of 2007. I am a freelance designer and I do business with clients in New York and Florida. I receive 1099s from my clients, both in New York and Florida, but i am not sure were do I have to file. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.

ITIN for H4 spouse-Married in 2007? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been on H1 since 2003. I got recently married in feb 2007 and my wife is here on H4 visa. I am filing 2006 tax return. I have few questions: 1.Can I get ITIN for her though she has been here for only a month in 2007? 2. I filed 1040 last time and should I include the fact that...

I'm on H1 and got married in 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 and stayed 5 months in FL and 4 months in NJ. I was single in 2006 but got married in Feb2007. Please let me know if I am correct in assumption : 1) 1040 for Federal 2) NO return for Florida as there is no state tax 3) 1040NR for NJ as I stayed less than 183 days in NJ 4)...

View more questions Search