Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scottish2008 Posts: 501, Reputation: 32

Jan 29, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Fathers Windows for his PC is out of date!
    My father called to to his house the other day and asked me like he does all the time, to look at his computer. So I went to the computer room and had a look. I t was saying that his widows was not genuine. So I asked him where did you buy the computer. He stated it was at a locale computer store in town. He told me the store and from my experience this store is giving a bad name to other computer stores for the work that he does. Anyway what I am asking is that if he purchased a computer from this store 2 years ago which was brand new at the time. His windows should be genuine. Right? Need some help with this. Thank you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2008, 10:54 AM
    Not necessarily. The store may not have put a legal version of Windows on the PC. They may have used the same license for several PCs which is why its showing as not genuine.

Jan 29, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Not necessarily. The store may not have put a legal version of Windows on the PC. They may have used the same license for several PCs whihc is why its showing as not genuine.
    OK I understand that but. Should the store that he purchased it from supply him with windows again?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2008, 11:05 AM
    If he paid for a genuine copy then yes.

Jan 29, 2008, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If he paid for a genuine copy then yes.
    So I take it that since he has purchased this system from this computer store 2 years ago that the store is at fault and should rectify the problem? I am really grateful for your help on this Scott.
    squinter Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2008, 02:06 AM
    This happened to me with a brand new PC , I could nt get Microsoft updates because the store installed an illegal copy of windows , did nt even give me the disc, I brought it straight back and demanded he put a legal copy on and to give me the disc also , some stores will try this , imo you should go back to the store and demand he put a legit copy on and give you the disc also , after 2 years though the store may deny putting this os on your PC , you could mention that you'll report him to Microsoft though .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to close all the childwindows(popup window) when closing the parent window [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, all In javascript I need to close all the child windows that I have opened through a parent window Scenario: Here I will be having as many as child window opened and name given to the child window can not be tracked because each will be having a different name, and I am using 70 to...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

To-date total based on current date [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I am trying to create a forumula that will give a cumulative or "to-date" total that will exclude future months from the total. i.e. ithe point in time is August and I need to show a to-date number Through August only even though September and October are included in The...

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search