Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spoons Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 02:33 PM
    Securing wireless networking
    I just installed a wireless D-Link WBR-1310 to my home system so that I could add my new Toshiba laptop to the network.

How can I set the system so that my neighbors don't help themselves to my network?

Spoons:) :D
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Jan 29, 2008, 11:12 AM
    Look for the settings in your wireless router setup that refers to WEP. You will need to enable a WEP key and then type the same key into your wireless connection on your laptop.

You can also set your router to not advertise its network name (SSID). You will need to give it a name and type this name into your wireless connection on the laptop.

By assigning a WEP key, you are denying access to your neighbors because they will not know the "password". And by not advertising the SSID, it will not be found by other computers that are trying to discover available wireless networks. It makes your network invisible.

The last step is to assign an administrator password to your router so that it can not be broken into from the Internet. Make your password one with letters and numbers so that it is not as easy to guess. Do not forget to write it down.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless networking [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I Need To Connect Two Computers Through Wireless Networking They Are 80 Feet Away From Each Other. I Need To Get Into One Computer Through The Other One. Thank You

Wireless networking [ 2 Answers ]

I have two computers set up with a Belkin wireless router.One computer has a Belkin wireless network adapter and the other has Belkin wireless desktop card.Should they both have either Belkin wirelesss cards or Belkin USB network adapters? I want to know why one computer can access files and...

Problems with XP firewall and wireless networking [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have just set up a wireless network consisting of 3 laptop computers and 1 PC. The PC is connected to the internet and wireless router. When the PC reboots the firewall kicks in and prevents file sharing between the PC and the laptops. The laptops can view and access each others files but...

View more questions Search