Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ken Mattison Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 12:03 PM
    Hot water heater overflow
    I have a 3 year old house, when purchased the overflow valve of the hot water heater would leak water occasionally. Plumber came and installed a pressure relieve tank on the cold water line, problem solved until the last couple of weeks. Water again will come out of the overflow pipe every couple of days. Not a slow drip but I will find a few inches in an old sour cream container I put under the pipe. Any advice?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 13, 2006, 12:21 PM
    Hi Ken,

"Water again will come out of the overflow pipe every couple of days. Not a slow drip but I will find a few inches in an old sour cream container I put under the pipe. Any advice?"

Yes, tap the expansion tank with a small wrench to make sure it's working and not loaded up with water. You should hear a "clang" and not a "clunk". If it's water logged shut off the water to the house and remove and drain the expansion tank. Then I'd begin to wonder why the tank got water logged so soon. The only other thing would be a faulty pressure and temperature valve.
    Regards, Tom
    Ken Mattison Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Thanks Tom. I think I may have discovered the problem. Upon further review I noticed that the plumber hat installed the expansion tank on the Hot water line, not the cold water side. What are the ramifications of this? Ken
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2006, 04:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Mattison
    Thanks Tom. I think I may have discovered the problem. Upon further review I noticed that the plumber hat installed the expansion tank on the Hot water line, not the cold water side. What are the ramifications of this? Ken
    Hi Ken,

Since the water expands out the cold water side the installation as it stands is worthless. The hot water side is a closed system so the water can only expand out one side, the cold water side. I'm amazed that your plumber didn't know the difference. Call him back and have him do it right at his expense. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water is coming out of the overflow pipe [ 2 Answers ]

The overflow pipe which, I presume, comes out of a tank in the attic is letting water out intermitently. The pipe comes out from above my bedroom window, below the roof. What could be the cause of the problem ? Thanks in anticipation.

Hot Water Heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Hot Water Boiler and hot water heater that are constantly going out (pilots) They are both natural gas and use the same chimney from the basement. Any thoughts or suggestions? Sometimes wind is a factor other times it is not.

Cold Water Overflow [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I need to connect a 15mm cold water overflow pipe to a 40mm 'Tee' waste system. Any idea on how I go about doing this? Thanks.

View more questions Search