Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Additional details, low power electrical outlet
    I have an electrical wall outlet that doesn't put out enough power to support things like my vacuum or computer, but power does come through the outlet because a smal lamp will light. I have shut off the circuit breaker until I get the problem fixed. Will changing the outlet for a new one fix my problem?

The outlet is on a 15 amp circuit. There are two other wall outlets that I don't use and the ceiling light on the circuit. The other outlets and the ceiling light works fine. Low power means when I plug my shredder into the outlet, the power light comes on but there is not enough power to run the machine. When I plug it into another outlet it works fine.

WMorg555
    malaiyappa Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2010, 03:09 AM
    On line ups total details
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 05:04 AM

Try not to use until corrected, low voltage can destroy electrical/electronics.
    I would determine which breaker, then what all is on that breaker and check last good one or first bad receptacle. It can be in a switch box or light box as well.
    If you can measure voltage as things are plugged in, you will know you have it fixed.
    matt902 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jun 17, 2010, 05:17 PM

Is this a recpticle that has a 1:1 transformer in it?Like ones used in bathrooms for electric shavers.They limit the power to around 30 watts.
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2010, 05:33 PM

Matt, GFI's trip on an unbalanced load(a hot trying to go through a person to ground causing the GFI to see the Hot is drawing more than the Neutral(unbalanced)and trips.
    It is not an isolation transformer.
    matt902 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Jun 17, 2010, 06:40 PM

Stratmando,the poster did not mention anything about a GFI.Before GFIs,bathroom outlets had a receptacle with a current limiting transformer on the backside which was mounted in a 4"X4" box.
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2010, 03:18 PM

Matt, was it current limiting or Isolation?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electrical outlet [ 5 Answers ]

I want to fix the faulty wiring in the electrical outlets in my house. I know nothing about how things work. I would like to try to fix it if it is possible. It is an old house . The out lets work but when I use a APC surge protector bar the red button comes on which means faulty wiring . So I am...

Electrical outlet low power [ 2 Answers ]

I have an electrical wall outlet that doesn't put out enough power to support things like my vacuum or computer, but power does come through the outlet because a smal lamp will light. I have shut off the circuit breaker until I get the problem fixed. Will changing the outlet for a new one fix my...

Electrical outlet going out [ 2 Answers ]

Have an electrical outlet on my covered front porch that I have most of my Christmas lights attached to... last night we had a HEAVY rainstorm with high winds that seems to have blown water into this outlet. Now there is no power coming from the outlet (I have confirmed this with a tester). It is...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

Electrical Outlet [ 2 Answers ]

My Electrical Outlet Is Not Working. I Have Checked The Breaker Box. What Could Be The Problem?

View more questions Search