Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Would JFK have opposed going to war against Iraq as Obama has?
    Or do you believe that George W. Bush is more like JFK?

I find it strange that CAROLINE KENNEDY would write something like this- Barack Obama is a President “Like My Father.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/op...nt&oref=slogin
    wolfcandy2 Posts: 106, Reputation: 3

Jan 27, 2008, 03:39 PM
    George Bush is nothing like JFK at least JFK would have been honest about everything from the start not hide everything from the public and do it behind our backs
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Must be a trick question. No I don't think bush is anything like JFK. They are about as different as night and day, but I have been reading here in Canada that Obama has been compared to JFK because he is a good speaker. But then, they have compared him to just every president who was murdered in office. So that isn't a very good start.

Caroline Kennedy must have said a little more then that. Doesn't seem to be a very intelligent statement, sort of very immature. Where was this published ?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 03:41 PM
    George Bush is not like JFK by any stretch of the imagination and believe me, it would have to be an incredible stretch at that to even come close.

JFK did not go along with the big boys on a lot of issues such as the Federal Reserve. Remember he had other paper money issued just months prior to his death that angered the folks at the Federal Reserve?

Maybe Caroline Kennedy fell out of bed on her head is about the closest I can come to any kind of printable answer on that one. At least she didn't say she likes Hilldog. That's in her favor.

Jan 27, 2008, 03:42 PM
    I think it was making references to the similarities between both men
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 03:51 PM
    What similarities? GWB can barely speak intelligible English having problems stringing more than 3 words together at a time. JFK was a well educated and wonderful speaker. Ever read the book he wrote Profiles in Courage? GWB reads goat books upside down to school children.

JFK would not have put up with GWB's baloney and downright lying for a war America didn't want and Congress didn't vote for. JFK did not hollow out the American economy like GWB did and is still doing.

I don't find any similarities other than they had two arms and two legs and walked upright.

Jan 27, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Similarities between Obama and JFK not JFK and George W Fraud
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle
    Must be a trick question. No I dont think bush is anything like JFK. They are about as different as night and day, but I have been reading here in Canada that Obama has been compared to JFK because he is a good speaker. But then, they have compared him to just every president who was murdered in office. So that isnt a very good start.

Caroline Kennedy must have said a little more then that. Doesnt seem to be a very intelligent statement, sort of very immature. Where was this published ?
    The link is in my OP if you want to read it.:)
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 04:08 PM
    I don't care for Obama from all that I have read about him and his Chicago mobster buddies and ties and former drug user. If this is what you want in the White House, OK. But I don't see any similarities to JFK and this man either and I've given it a lot of thought. He came from nowhere and has no real political or public servant experience to brag about. I for one, think this man is a shill trying to siphon off votes from other worthy candidates.

Jan 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
    To be honest,Im not voting because they are all out for themselves and the people that got them there,not the voters who think they can do the job
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2008, 04:10 PM
    "The Republicans have allowed a communist dictatorship to flourish eight jet minutes from our borders! We must support anti-Castro fighters. So far these freedom fighters have received no help from our government." – Democratic presidential candidate, October 1960.
    “Two weeks before that crucial debate in October of 1960, JFK had been briefed by the CIA (on Ike's orders) about Cuban invasion plans (what would later be known as the Bay of Pigs invasion). So he was lying through his teeth. He knew damn well the Republican administration was helping Cuban freedom fighters. And since the plans were secret, he knew damn well Nixon couldn't rebut.
    “Which is to say, to blindside his Republican opponent Kennedy relied on that opponent's patriotism. Let's face it, Republicans are at a woeful disadvantage here. Nixon bit his tongue. He could easily have stomped Kennedy on it. But to some candidates national security trumps debating points. “
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2008, 04:12 PM
    You know something? Only the dead can answer that question. Much can be discussed as to what JFK would have done but honestly, we will never know for 100% sure, will we?

As for Profiles In Courage - much speculation that Kennedy did not write that himself, but Ted Sorenson wrote that. Drew Pearson made that claim in 1957 and later retracted it, under pressure from Kennedy.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2008, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    The link is in my OP if you want to read it.:)

Thanks, DC, I posted before I even realized it was there.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 04:39 AM
    JFK was a cold warrior in his time. He hammering Eisenhower for America's supposed lack of leadership, and America "falling behind the Soviets." He claimed to be tougher on Communism than Nixon while in Congress. His work on a labor committee led to the conviction of a communist union official. He supported all of America's overseas activities in waging the Cold War.

Lest we forget ;he was also a neo-con .

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we will pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

As President he increased military spending to close the "missile gap".It was during his term that the US came up with the concept of 'Mutual Assured Destruction '(MAD) .

He INCREASED our presence in Vietnam. He told David Brinkley he believed in the 'Domino Theory' . Revisionists now claim that he had a withdrawal plan but that is a debatable position. He told Walter Cronkite that a withdrawal would be a mistake. It was JFK who authorized the "coup " against Diem .

After his death his clan including Arthur Schlesinger ;Pierre Salinger, ;Teddy and Robert Kennedy supported LBJ's escalation [at least until until public opinion made them flip-flop]because it was a Kennedy operation .

Given these facts I believe that he would be just as tough on the foreign policy challenges of our day. The overthrow of a foreign President ? Been there done that .
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 05:43 AM
    I find it strange that CAROLINE KENNEDY would write something like this- Barack Obama is a President “Like My Father.”
    Her father was a hawk in foreign policy and a tax cutter . He would not even be a Democrat today .

Even stranger in that the Clintonoids ran on the heir to the JFK legacy in the 1990s . My guess is she remembers how JFK Jr. had to put his political ambitions on hold when Madame Defarge decided to run for Senator of NY .NewsMax.com: Inside Cover Story

Fat Teddy is planning on giving Obama his endorsement also . My advice to both Obama (dealing with Teddy's support ) and John McCain (receiving the NY Slimes nod ) is to politely decline .
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 06:02 AM
    Lol In 1960 the Kennedy's and the Richard J .Dailey Chicago machine tag teamed to win a close election.

William Daley, Bill Clinton's former secretary of commerce, is another prominent Obama backer, with strong roots in Chicago, the candidate's home town.

He is the son of the late Richard J Daley, Chicago's one-time mayor, and the brother of its present mayor, Richard M Daley.

Hillary Clinton wobbles as her backers turn to Barack Obama - Times Online
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Would JFK have opposed going to war against Iraq as Obama has?
    Hello DC:

Of course!

Pre-emptive war based on trumped up intelligence isn't something JFK did. It's a BUSH kind of thing.

To suggest he would, suggests to me that, not only are you NOT a student of philosophy, you aren't a student of history either.

I agree with everything tom said above about him too, "that he would be just as tough on the foreign policy challenges of our day". The difference is he didn't have to trump up anything. He had actual pictures instead of George Tenant.

Bush too isn't a student of history, either. That's how he can make the outlandish claims he does.

excon

Jan 28, 2008, 07:42 AM
    Bush is a moron,he's trying to intimidate everyone into thinking that he's doing it for a reason(his EGO).He says that he wants peace in the middle east when there will never be peace.Bush thinks that the American people are with him on that but we aren't.If he takes a long look at the history of the middle east,he will see that there's a little democracy there called Israel there that is the thorn in everyone's side,yet 60 years later it thrives,albeit with the Arabs wanting and vowing for its destruction.
    He can't keep telling Israel to give up lands that it won in wars(the only one to give up land in history of wars) or give up on protecting itself against threats close to it,he needs to tell the Palestinean people that they must show Israel and the rest of the world that they are real and true about wanting peace... stop the violence,get along with each other
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2008, 07:56 AM
    In November 1963, JFK and the CIA was secretly working with the #3 official in Cuba ;Commander Juan Almeida, head of the Cuban Army ,to stage a "palace coup" against Fidel Castro. Code name for the operation was AMWORLD . By Nov. 22, 1963, millions of dollars had been spent on the coup plan, hundreds of Cuban-American troops had been trained, U.S. assets were going into Cuba, and everything was ready.Former Secretary of State Dean Rusk has confirmed this information.

Coups in Vietnam and Cuba based on what ?.... A policy of regime change ;that's what.

Kennedy was rightly fixated on a Communist enclave 90 miles off our coast .What was his justification for allowing the Bay of Pigs plan to go down ? Pictures ?

No the truth was that he was briefed about the operation before his debate with Nixon . He then lied about the lack of a US response to the Cuban threat

"The Republicans have allowed a communist dictatorship to flourish eight jet minutes from our borders! We must support anti-Castro fighters. So far these freedom fighters have received no help from our government."

Then history is later reworked to make it sound like Kennedy had no choice but the carry out the plot after he becomes President .

Jan 28, 2008, 07:59 AM
    The republicans are making us believe that they are the solution to every problem there is... NOT.They are the real PROBLEM

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the advantage of going to church as opposed to not going? [ 30 Answers ]

I can see why most people go to church. They like to be amongst fellow believers and fellowship with them. I've been a Christian for quite some time, but have never been one to attend church. I haven't attended since the late 1980s. I'm a single guy that doesn't like to be around people, no matter...

Democrats choosing between Hillary and Obama: [ 15 Answers ]

Dennis Miller, comedian, and more recently known for his political commentary and satire, has a valid point: Why would Democrats that want change, vote for Hillary? We already know about a Clinton ran White House via Bill's presidency. Nothing new there. Even more so why would the black segment of...

The Obama Shuffle [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what Obama, a man who majored in Political Science, specializing in International Relations at Columbia University, plans to do with those skills when it comes to national security? So far, he wants a "diplomatic surge" to solve the problems in Iraq, whatever that means. ...

Was the war in Iraq sanctioned by the United Nations? [ 34 Answers ]

We the peoples of the United Nations determined to save succeeding generations from the scourge of war, which twice in our lifetime has brought untold sorrow to mankind…do hereby establish an international organization to be known as the United Nations."

View more questions Search