Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ragred Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Few questions regarding J1 visa
    Sir/Madam,
    Iam on a j1 visa( resident physician).
    I also had a break during my training for three months when I went to my home country)during which I was charged 2400 dollars by my instituion( as I was not being paid and still had to pay for my health coverage as per law).
    My questions are
    1)Iam I eligible for complete federal tax returns?
    2)How can I claim for my health insurance/coverage which I have to pay when I was not here.

3) I have been paying federal tax for the last 4 yrs. If I am eligibel to get complete federal Tax returns, can I get from the past yrs as well (as I did pay the last 4 yrs)?

4. Can I also claim my flight and travel expenses when I travelled to my home country?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 12:04 AM
    1. You are resident that is getting training in the medical profession. You income is not exempt from federal and state taxes from the day 1. The two year exemption is for professors, teachers or researches and they too must pay back taxes if stay exceeds 2 years.

2. Normally the travel expense to home is not deductible. It can be deductible only if the purpose was to get medical treatment. In your case you were in home for three months so IRS may not allow this deduction.

3. Medical expenses that are more than 7.5% of your AGI can be claimed as deduction as itemized deduction. And you will itemize only when your itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2008, 12:25 PM
    Agreed!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ghana visa and passport questions [ 1 Answers ]

There have been a lot of questions as to the cost of a visa and passport from Ghana to come visit the US, I want to alert everyone to the fact that in many cases this can be a scam, let me take a moment to describe it below: There is a large scale scam where women from Ghana (or maybe even men...

E-3 Visa Tax Questions [ 1 Answers ]

It's tax time and I'm having trouble finding accurate information on how to accurately lodge my return (considering that I'm an Australian citizen working in the US on an E-3 visa). I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with (or point me in the right direction): 1. I...

L1B Visa questions [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Atlanta Tax Expert, I came to US for the first time on Aug 24th 2006 (completing about 130 days in 2006) and I am on L1 B Individual Visa. My nationality is Indian and I am unmarried. 1) What is my Tax status - resident or non-resident? 2) Can I get my FICA Taxes back? 3) If I file as...

View more questions Search