Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blaker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 04:07 PM
    No signal for monitor -- damaged motherboard?
    Ok, hopefully somebody out there can help me out:

This is a little long but I want to give you all the info I can-

My Dad has a computer that’s a few years old, about a month ago it stopped turning on so he went and bought a new power supply and installed it. Now it came on but wouldn’t display anything so he thought bad hard-drive. He then told me I could try and salvage it.

I went and got a new HD and plugged it in, turned everything on and…nothing. The system turns on, all fans are on and power is being delivered to everything. The problem is the monitor isn’t receiving a signal. The monitor isn’t the problem as I have tried it on another computer and it was fine. I also tried a different monitor on the “non-working” computer with the same results. The monitor will say it has no signal when it isn’t plugged in to anything, then if it gets plugged into the computer it goes into ‘sleep’ mode like it does when it is plugged in to a computer that is turned off, even though the computer is on. I have tried plugging the monitor into both the jack that is part of the motherboard and into a separate video card and gotten the same results.

I tried plugging the old HD into a different computer and it’s definitely is fried – it can’t even sort of boot-up. I also tried plugging a definitely working HD into my dad’s computer and still had the same problem so, it isn’t the new HD that is the problem.

I’ve successfully built several computers from scratch so I’m not exactly a computer ‘beginner’ but I am stumped here. One thing I think is possible is that when the old power supply stopped working or somehow got fried or overloaded or whatever—that it fried other things that it was plugged into including the old HD and some components of the mother board, including whatever delivers a signal to the monitor.

What do you think? Any ideas?

-Blake
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 11, 2006, 10:24 PM
    Well, the only thing I can think of right off the bat is that you should try resetting the BIOS (either by changing the right jumper, or by pulling out the CMOS battery, or whatever religious ritual your brand of motherboard requires, such as sacrificing a chicken on the keyboard), because it sounds like you've got a problem with one of the busses (e.g. the PCI bus, the AGP bus, the Chicago-bound Bus, or whatever). It may only be a software problem, which you might be able to get rid of by resetting the BIOS; but if your computer still displays the same vital signs as an ashtray, then you've got a more serious problem on your hands. Post back here and we'll see then.

Good luck,
    Moishe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

Monitor - No signal [ 53 Answers ]

Hi all, I'm trying to build my own computer without my husband's help so I can learn stuff along the way. My first obstacle is that the monitor has no signal. The computer I am upgrading is my brother's old one and I played cards on it just last week before he gave it to me. When I brought it home...

No Monitor Signal [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot I am I did not uninstall the on-board video first, I inserted the videocard and now I get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All...

No signal to monitor [ 8 Answers ]

OK like a week ago I unhooked my computer then just awhile ago I rehooked it back up and like the computer starts up and everything its just there is no signal to my moniter and the cd rom drive doesn't open or close and I also can't power the computer down by the power button ihave to turn it off...

View more questions Search