Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MichaelKemp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 02:12 PM
    Disabled vet needs info on relocating to France
    I hope this is the right board on which to post this question. I will also post it under 'Retirement" issues. I am a US veteran with a disability rating of 100%, & have decided to move to Paris France. My disabilities, while major, do not limit my mobility or yet require use of wheelchair or other help to get around.
    While I am going to make enquiries of the Veterans Administration, I would like some feedback from qualified members regarding what I need to do to accomplish this move, what to expect in the way of jumping through hoops & etc. Of particular importance to me is how, where & through whom my medical needs will be addressed.
    Thank you, Michael Kemp
    Annie MCDO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:44 AM
    Hi Michael... I don't know why you want to retire in France but living here, I offer a few observations. There are loads of information sites, type "Retirement in France" on Google and you can filter the information about medical services. First of all, you will have to go through the French bureacratic hoops to get residency/permis de séjour/long term visa or other- otherwise you will not be entitled to any medical coverage unless you have it as insurance from the US. If you do manage to get a residency status, I asked a doctor friend and his reply was that you will have to purchase supplementary medical coverage and when you say 'yet require the use of a wheechair'... this could prove to be difficult and if obtainable, very very expensive. In terms of living, Paris offers many American expat support groups and services (find them on Google). I don't want to throw cold water on your idea of retiring here, but do all of your investigating and paperwork BEFORE moving and then... good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relocating a sink - need a new drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya, Im a bit useless when it comes to anything like this, so please accept my apologies for my lack of knowledge! Right, I want to move my sink in my kitchen to the other end of the kitchen and onto a different wall. It will still be on the outside wall, yet it is too far to run a waste...

Relocating thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

I am thinking of moving my thermostat to the second story hallway. I set the unit on 74-75 degrees and it is still very warm upstairs. You can feel the difference as you go up the stairs. This is also with the first floor ducts closed. All air is going upstairs. I am sure moving the stat upstairs...

Relocating back to Europe ~ how to file taxes next year [ 1 Answers ]

I will be moving back home to Austria in a few weeks and was wondering what the procedure is for me to file taxes next year (I was working until May 06). Can I do this from Europe? Is there any paperwork I need to fill out before I leave the country?

Relocating to Calgary [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I love drawing. I am by profession a textile engineer. I will soon get my immigrant visa to settle in canada and I plan to live in calgary. I have to think and plan of how I will start my new life there and how to earn money as I don't know a single person in calgary. Regarding earning I have...

View more questions Search