Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sylva Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2008, 02:31 AM
    Opening Balance for Access Ledger DataBase
    I am working on a project aimed at tracking daily transactions of Deposits and Withdrawals, similar to the Ledger Sample ledger Database in MS Access. Using a Report Date Range Form to filter transactions for a given period, I want to see the Opening (Beginning) balance on the account before the transactions for the selected Date Range and the Closing (Ending) Balance at the end of the selected Date Range. That is, March Opening Balance = Sum of All Deposits before 1st March less Sum of All Withdrawals before 1st March. Then, March Closing Balance = March Opening Balance + Total Deposits in March - Total Withdrawals in March. My Transaction table looks like this ( sorry, I'm having problems attaching a zipped copy of my DB). The table has four columns: TransDate, Details, Deposit and Withdrawal:

Transaction: TABLE

TransDate Details Deposit(D) Withdrawal(W)
    02/02/06 Sales 10,000.00(D)
    04/02/06 Purchase 6,000.00(W)
    12/02/06 Rent received 2,000.00(D)
    06/03/06 Tele Charges 500.00(W)
    10/03/06 Sales 5,000.00(D)
    23/03/06 Purchase 4,000.00(W)
    29/03/06 Sales 1,500.00(D)
    08/04/06 Cleaning Expenses 400.00(W)

April Opening Balance = March Closing Balance OR alternatively, April Opening Balance = Sum of All Deposits before 1st April less Sum of All Withdrawals before 1st April. Etc, etc.

I have used Dsum with partial success. Most times, the opening Balance it calculates is the difference between all the DepositAmount and WithdrawalAmount, instead of showing the balance of DepositAmount against WithdrawalAmount for the period preceding the Start Date (or Beginning Trans Date). And if dates in the date values in ReportDateRange Form are not in the Transactions table, the Opening is zero (0). My formula for the text Box OpeningBalance is:

[CODE]=DSum("[Deposit]","Transaction","[TransDate] < #" & Forms!ReportDateRange!txtStartDate & "#")-DSum("[Withdrawal]","Transaction","[TransDate] < #" & Forms!ReportDateRange!txtStartDate & "#")[/CODE
    ]

What formula do I use for the textbox OpeningBalance so that it will give me the correct opening balance at all times?

Could someone out there please come to my rescue and could the gurus at Microsoft please update that sample Database so that Reports will show Opening and Closing Balances. Ledger/Transactions Reports are incomplete if they do not contain balance from previous period.

Sylva.
    farzad_1354 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2011, 01:35 AM
    Hi dear all
    This is very simple to work in access
    You must add a variance of 2 field in qry
    Like [Withdrawal] - [ Deposit] and add this on report then just in property assign in running sum to "Over all"
    Micromax Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2011, 04:35 PM
    Hi, maybe you can put this in the control source for OpeningBalance.
    =IIf([TransDate]>#03/31/2006,0,CLng([Deposits]-[Withdrawals])

You may have to tweak it for the form.

Rob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Access Database [ 5 Answers ]

I keep getting this error message, what should I do? I tried to delete the record where the error appears but the system won't allow me to. (The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time.)

Undating an Access Database to SQLServer2000 [ 4 Answers ]

Where can I get info on updating an Access2000 database to SQLServer2000 Thanks in anticipation

Using access create database [ 3 Answers ]

To all. I'm need you all help, how to using Microsoft access create a database. Sample like I want record all the stock in my database and how to using Html interface link to the database. :(

View more questions Search