Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachel101 Posts: 77, Reputation: 19

Jan 21, 2008, 04:02 PM
    Drywall tape on finished wall keeps popping up
    I've been remodeling, painting, etc. The house is 8 yrs. Old with textured walls. It's mostly on corners but in several places the drywall tape is popping up along edges here and there. I took care of it with spackle and painted etc. In some places it has started coming up again. Is my spackling substandard or is there a better way to take care of this?
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Jan 21, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Did you install the tape or is it old/original? It sounds like the bond between the tape and the drywall is letting go. To get it to stick properly, you will need to scrape the old tape off and use enough drywall mud to bed the new tape in place so it won't pop up again.
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Dr is spot on. You can't spackle over popped tape and hope to keep it down. The bond between the tape and the wall is what keeps that from happening.

If it's tape you've applied, then try leaving a little more mud between the tape and joint. Squeezing too much out and not having a straight run are the two common culprits of poor tape adherence.

If the problem is in a few remote locations, I use a razor knife to cut out the lifted tape sections and spackle the indentations. This only works for small areas that don't actually cross the joint! If the raised area is of considerable size, I pull the tape off completely, sand or scrape the joint free of old compound and rework.

Also, make sure that the joint is well fastened, as movement can cause failure as well, alrhough this will show up as a crack and not an isolated "bubble".

Thanks,
    Json
    rachel101 Posts: 77, Reputation: 19

Jan 21, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Thanks for the advice. It's the original tape from when the house was built and it is the bond between the tape and drywall that is failing. I will add the fact that "spackle will NOT hold the tape down" to my list of things learned. Thank you.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 22, 2008, 08:33 PM
    You may be able to slide the drywall mud between the tape and wall, id try that first, if it was just smooth walls id say cut the tape out and retape and mud it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dry wall screws popping out [ 6 Answers ]

I am only 2 months into a newly built home and the screws that were used for the drywall appear to be popping out in several places. I have seen an earlier post about nails and the reply suggested screws, but these screws are coming out too! Is this normal for a house only 2 months old? What do I...

Basement toilet way too far from finished wall. [ 4 Answers ]

I had our house built 5 years ago roughed in for 1/2 bath in the basement. Now that I'm finishing the basement, I've run into a problem. All the walls are framed, drywall is up and bath is ready for toilet installation. Much to my chagrin, I realized now that the center of the soil stack is 20"...

Taking tape off the wall [ 1 Answers ]

I was trying to place a mirror on the wall of my hallway with some sort of special tape use for that kind of mirror. So it happens that the mirror fell and some of the tape is stuck on the wall. I just bought this place and I don't want to ruin the paint. How can I take that tape off without...

Wanting to fix "masking tape" over drywall joints [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: I have a finished attic, however who ever finished it drywalled the room, and then rather than use paper or mesh tape and mud over it, they appeared to just used wide maskting tape over the joints and paint over it with no mud at all. Im wondering if it were to be wise to remove all of...

How do I finish my drywall w/ mesh tape? [ 4 Answers ]

I bought a bunch of all-purpose,lightweight joint compound and some fiberglass mesh tape to finish my drywalls. Now, I've only been able to find how to use the regular tape with finishing drywall. How the HECK do I finish the drywall w/ mesh tape? Yes, I'm a complete newbie Appreciate any...

View more questions Search