Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jsjones01 Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Replacing iron pipes
    I'm planning on updating the plumbing in my 1943 house. Some was done before I bought the house. There is pvc pipe installed under the house connecting the waste drains to the city system. However, the pvc ends just below the subfloor in the crawlspace, and I can see rusty iron going up into the house, presumably the original pipe. Should all the iron be replaced with pvc?

My house inspector found a significant drop in water pressure when more than one faucet was turned on in the house. What causes this and what's the fix? I have copper and iron pipes in the system.
    Thanks!
    cgregory67 Posts: 92, Reputation: 7

Jan 21, 2008, 03:38 PM
    If your supply lines are iron; scale will reduce the volume and result in less water when more faucets are turned on. I would recommend updating these to copper or PEX. Cast iron drains appear to hold up very well. I have read articles where cast iron drains are still functional hundreds of years later.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Cast iron pipe can look bad sometimes but be just fine... I always say that you only fix it if it broke... I mean, if you are updating/remodeling the bathroom and/or kitchen then I say you replace all pipes to new ones for sure! If it is leaking anywhere... replace for sure, too! BUT just to replace cast iron pipe... not a common practice where I come from unless there is pitting (small leaks) or as said we begin a remodel.. then , of course, get rid of it then... PVC pipe so easy to put in... depends on level of updating, etc.

The drop in water pressure is probably a volume issue... here, the pipes have probably been piped 1/2" to everything and there is probably sediment build up in places (especially transitions from copper to iron pipes). I would definitely recommend replacing all this to copper or cpvc or pex pipe... depends on your plumber's recommendation and where you are in the country.

Anyway, there is my opinion.. *wink*. Hey, if this answer was helpful, please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on the button below. Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Cast Iron Sewer Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

This is my first time posting here, and hopefully I can get some good advice. I was in my crawlspace yesterday running some coaxial TV cables and when I was near the sewer drain pipe, I noticed it was cracked along the top:eek: . The crack was about 4-6 feet in length, and fairly close to the...

Iron Heating Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

My house is about 38 yrs old and my hot water baseboard heating system was installed with iron pipes instead of copper. I was told by Doc Harrison a system like mine has very little fresh water added to it once in service, and the constant heating and cooling of the water drives most of the air...

Dripping Cast Iron Pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I was in my basement today and noticed a few mini puddles along our water lines. We have large cast iron pipes that are looking pretty rusty, and they are covered in water droplets. I am not sure whether they are sewer or clean water lines, but they are not looking too good :confused:... I live...

Replacing cast iron pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an older home with cast iron pipes. I have to replace them due to stress cracks? How is this done and should I replace the cast iron with PVC?:confused:

Cast Iron Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clear cast iron drain pipes as a step towards making future preventive maintenance cost effective and less labor intense? Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this? Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process. I...

View more questions Search