Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smokingbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 08:19 PM
    if then sum count quotient?
    I'm a real rookie at this excel stuff. Hope someone can help. Here's what I need... in cells A1,B1,C1,D1,E1 a 1,2, or 3 will be entered in each. I need cell F1 to tell me which number occurred 3 times or more within those cells. If a # didn't occur more than three times I need a 0 displayed in cell F1. Additionally, if cell F1=0,1,or 2 I need the QUOTIENT of (A1+B1+C1+D1+E1)/15 displayed in G1. Is this possible in excel?? :eek:
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Jan 19, 2008, 07:39 AM
    There are multiple ways to approach this. Let's see if I have the conditions correct. Cells A1 through E1 may contain one number: 1, 2, or 3. You need to know if any number occurs 3 times or more. So if the number 1 occurs 3 or more times, display 1 in cell F1. Otherwise display 0. Also, only if the results in F1 is 0, 1, or 2, sum the numbers in cells A1 through E1 and divide by 15. However, if F1 equals 3, do not perform this calculation.

An easy way to do this is to use three separate cells to determine if a number occurs more than 3 times.

In cell B3 enter: =COUNTIF(A1:E1,"1")
    In cell B4 enter: =COUNTIF(A1:E1,"2")
    In cell B5 enter: =COUNTIF(A1:E1,"3")

Now I know how many times each number occurs in the range. The formulas above could be placed anywhere in the spreadsheet.

The formula in F1 becomes:

=IF(B3<3,IF(C3<3,IF(D3<3,0,3),2),1)

So I'm checking to see if the number 1 occurs less than 3 times, if it does, I move on to the number 2. If not, I know no other number can occur more than 3 times so the value becomes "1".

The formula in G1 is:

=IF(F1>=0,IF(F1<3,SUM(A1:E1)/15,""))

If the cell F1 contains a number 0, 1 or 2, I sum(a1:e1) and divide by 15. Otherwise I leave the cell blank. Note that if I want to include the number 3, I would change "F1<3" to "F1<=3".

Many other ways to do this. Hope this one works for you.
    smokingbaby Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 10:46 AM
    You're a genius big head! Thanks so much!
    mdosh01 Posts: 64, Reputation: 8

Jan 20, 2008, 07:34 PM
    No problem. Glad this worked for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to keep a Dance Count going on? [ 9 Answers ]

Hey I have another question I know that when you do a proper dance that you have counts going on in your head but I don't really understand a whole lot about keeping the counting on. I need to know if there is some kind of trick or advice that someone could give me? I really just go by the beats...

Does it count? [ 3 Answers ]

If I hang out with a girl on the internet and we "hook up" does it count as a real relationship Compared to one w/ a girl in "real life"??

Differentiating first principles/Quotient rule [ 4 Answers ]

I've differentiated it using the quotient rule (get \frac{-g'(x)}{(g(x))^2}) to use as a check and also by the chain rule but cannot reach the answer through first principles or derive the quotient rule using the answer I got for the first part by a different method. Won't post all the workings,...

Does his in come count? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex has filed for a review of the child support. She has now remarried and I was wondering if she had to list his income on the financial affidavit?:confused:

View more questions Search