Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Worried171 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Trying to get pregnant but I drink and smoke weed a lot.
    I've been trying to get pregnant for the last few months but nothing seems to be happening. I smoke weed and drink a lot could this effect my chances of getting pregnant. I've also been on the pill for about 7years, could being on the pill for a long time take me longer to get pregnant.:confused: :confused:
    godsbabygirl267 Posts: 175, Reputation: 11

Jan 17, 2008, 05:15 PM
    I don't think that the pill is what is affecting you. There are many reasons that a woman wouldn't be able to become pregnant. First and foremost take a look at your partner. Are the two of you capable of concieving naturally or should you have a doctor improvise. Also, you may need to think about envitro or the other possible ways of an unnatural conception. Also a thing to think about is smoking weed and drinking, these two things can have an enormous impact on your health and the health of your baby if you do become pregnant. Some long term possible effects on your baby could be vision and hearing problems, odd brain fucntions, a bad heart, weak immune system, asthma or other lung diseases, and most importantly and sad- Death. Just some words of concern, maybe before trying to get pregnant and bring another life into this world, you should consider the effects of your habits on their life. Do you think it is right to punish your child everyday of their lives for your fixable mistakes?

Nikki-think before you do.

Jan 17, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Well its been onths and we never use anything, there's been a few times when I've been late but nothing... I'm in the process of quiting smoking and I wouldn't be selfish enough to put smokinga and drinking before my child, I no this is a bad habbit and intend to quit both... I just wanted to know could this stop me from getting pregnant...
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Jan 17, 2008, 05:52 PM
    Drinking can definitely hinder your efforts to get pregnant. I know you say you are trying to quit smoking... what about drinking? If you find yourself pregnant are you going to immediately stop using drugs and alcohol? Now with that said, it can take a healthy couple with no infertility issues 12 months or more to get pregnant. It can also take 3 months for your body to regulate itself after stopping birth control. I would highly recommend doing some research on what it takes to get pregnant. It actually can be more than just having sex. You need to figure out when you ovulate. You can't have sex too much or the sperm won't have enough time to build up in count. You should be exercising and watching your diet. Mostly you shouldn't be smoking anything and drinking. My husband and I are completely capable of getting pregnant, I was off birth control for around 3 months before we started trying to get pregnant, and it still took us another 6 months to get pregnant. Take care of your body. It's the most important part of being pregnant. Do your homework and read in to pregnancy a bit so you have the knowledge. You should also make sure you are current on your yearly pap. Sexual health is obviously very important when it comes to pregnancy. Anyway, hope this answered your questions. Good luck.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 06:33 PM
    #1, quit drinking
    #1 again... quit smoking weed.

Unless of course you want the baby taken away from you within hours after birth.

Yup, docs do drug tests on expectant mothers, just part of the prenatal process. If a child is found to be born with certain drugs in their systems... baby goes into foster care after detox. Yup, babies have to detox just like us adults do.

Let's also look at the possibility of fetal alcohol syndrome. It can happen as early as the first few weeks of pregnancy, even before you know you are pregnant.

Now, if you want to have a child, be responsible enough to quit the drugs and the alcohol and get your body healthy before beginning to try to get pregnant.
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Jan 17, 2008, 06:53 PM
    I second J_9's post.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 18, 2008, 09:37 AM
    Both of those substances can hurt you AND your partners fertility. IF you were to become pregnant, your baby would be sickened by the drugs/alcohol in your system. Marijuana, in particular, will stay in your body for up to 30 - 45 days after your last smoke, which could injure a growing fetus. Marijuana and drinking lowers sperm count and can damage any remaining sperm, meaning it could still impregnant you but it wouldn't be healthy.

#1. Stop the substance abuse (both of you - fathers sperm can be damaged as well)
    #2. Start taking prenatal vitamins IMMEDIATELY
    #3. Start taking care of your body. By the time you realize you're pregnant, it may be too late to help the baby if you haven't already improved your health before conception.
    #4. Avoid smoky environments while Trying to conceive or pregnant

Jan 18, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Thank you too all who took the time out to post a message back, I've thougt a lot about what you have all said and your all right it's about time I sorted out my life so far I'm on the right track I'm not a bum, I finished university last year so I do have education underneah me to get far in life. I smoked my last fag an spliff yesterday and will be going straight to the doctors for help to stop, I'm going to get healthy and give a year or so then think about trying for a baby... thank you
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 21, 2008, 12:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Worried171
    thank you too all who took the time out to post a msg back, i've thougt alot about what you have all said and your all right it's about time i sorted out my life so far im on the right track im not a bum, i finished univesity last year so i do have education underneah me to get far in life. i smoked my last fag an spliff yesterday and will be going straight to the doctors for help to stop, i'm going to get heathy and give a year or so then think about trying for a baby... thank you
    I'm glad to hear that. Give your body time to heal and get healty before baby. :)
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Jan 21, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Well, good for you for getting help! :) That is so great that you want to stop. I agree with the previous post, give your body a rest for a little while. Talk to the doctor about how long it will take for the drugs/alcohol to get out of your system completely. Once you have been 100% sober for a while and know that you are past the addiction, then go get a full exam to see about becoming pregnant. Make sure your significant other is clean too. Once you guys are in the clear, ask the doctor about what you can do to be most likely to conceive. Good luck! :) You sound like you are making excellent decisions for yourself now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoke Weed Everyday [ 33 Answers ]

Im addicted to pot. I LOVE IT, I have been smoking for over 8 years. I work a full time job and go to school, I'm a functional pot smoker, I'm so high strung that when I come home, I want to relax and smoke. That's my only vice, however I spend over 500 a week on it. Exspensive habit, anyway,...

Weed Trimmer(weed eater) [ 3 Answers ]

I need step by step help on re-installing a (recoil) starter rope on a weed eater. If by chance you have diagram of how to put it on , I sure would appreciate it , any info will be appreciated ty denise

Pregnant dog not eatig and is drinking a lot [ 2 Answers ]

:( my dog is 6 yrs and pregnant and has a grayish pink look to her tonge and gums she refuses to eat and she is drinking a lot her pooh is like water but very black what can I do

Old dog poops and pees a lot a lot a lot [ 4 Answers ]

I just rescued a very old dalmatian from my neighbors she has tumors all over Her body and she is very thin . I started her on good food. I feed her a cup in a half a day And water is always available. She poops so much 5 times a day? I keep my dogs in the sun room at night when we get up there...

I know this is asked a lot pregnant or not? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm 2 weeks away from my 22nd b-day and have noticed some major changes in my moods and a discharge when I pee, I know what a yeast infection is like but I'm not itching or anything so I was wondering is it possible that I've gotten pregnant. I'm getting married in 1 1/2 months so I was thinking...

View more questions Search