Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TerriDee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
    Hipaa violation
    I have an ex-wife who is using the court system to constantly harass me. I was recently terminated by my employer while I was on medical disability. I am seeking legal council for that issue. Her latest stunt is to sopena my former employer to turn over all medical records. They already did this on one occasion. Is this a HIPAA violation? Is this a violation of my right to privacy because I have know idea what she will do with them and who else will see them. She has no attorney. We both represented ourselves throughout the divorce. She fills motions for hearings at least four times a month which makes it impossible for me to seek new employment. I have to show up at the hearings or I will be found in contempt.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2008, 02:38 PM
    No, if the court issues a court order for a them to turn them over, they have no choice, they can not refuse a court order for "evidence"

They can notify you, and you can hire an attorney to fight her filings.
    Hire an attorney, stop playing Perry Mason and have them go after her for frivious filings and so on.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriDee
    I have an ex-wife who is using the court system to constantly harass me. I was recently terminated by my employer while I was on medical disability. I am seeking legal council for that issue. Her latest stunt is to sopena my former employer to turn over all medical records. They already did this on one occasion. Is this a HIPAA violation? Is this a violation of my right to privacy because I have know idea what she will do with them and who else will see them. She has no attorney. We both represented ourselves throughout the divorce. She fills motions for hearings at least four times a month which makes it impossible for me to seek new employment. I have to show up at the hearings or I will be found in contempt.

What is the argument about? She files motions 4 times a month and presumably loses - or else she would stop filing - and the Court allows it?

You are the poster child for all the reasons NOT to do it yourself - but I'm sure you already know that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hipaa violation [ 3 Answers ]

If someone repeates a rumor they heard about someone's medical condition, is this a hipaa violation? And can the person repeating that rumor be sued for slander?

Is this a hipaa violation [ 2 Answers ]

I work for a financial company, I was diagnosed with type I diabetes last year. I am FMLA covered and I am cleared for 8 days a month to be off work for my medical appointments and any issues that I may have. I have been having complications and had to go on a medical leave of absence. My...

HIPAA violation [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother lives at an assistant living facility. A nurse came into the dining room and changed her medicine patch at the table. Is this a violation of the HIPAA privacy regulations?

View more questions Search