Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Baseball31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 04:07 PM
    401K and the IRS (payment)
    Well I took the advise of an employee for a CPA. Bad choice. So, needless to say, I now owe money to the IRS through an audit. Im an idiot I know.

But I read somewhere that if you cash out your 401k and pay the IRS the second 10% that goes to Uncle Sam is not taxed? Is this true? Because it sounds too good to be true. I know that there will be the 10% for early withdrawal no matter what.

Thanks!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 16, 2008, 04:22 PM
    Second 10%?? When you take an inservice withdrawal, you need to pay taxes on the amount you withdrew. Its added to your regular income so you pay taxes on it at your regular tax rate. In addition to that, you will also need to pay a 10% penalty.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 07:43 PM
    What you are thinking about is an IRS levy on your 401K to pay the taxes.

If the IRS issues such a levy, then (and only then) is the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty waived.

If you do it on your own, you WILL owe the penalty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Can they reposess my car after they agree to payment arrangements and take my payment [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a car in 06 and I have been paying on it every two weeks. I have been a little behind but I still pay or talk to someone about when I will pay... I have never lost communication with these people. I am only one payment and some late charges behind Monday I made a payment on the due date of...

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

401K Benefit Payment [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I am new to this board and wasn't certain if this question is appropriate for this section, so I apologize if I should have placed this somewhere else. I am 29 years old, and my company was recently bought out of bankruptcy by another company. Our (the employees) 401K savings...

401k penalty payment [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, This past year I liquidated my 401k and am not eligible for a waiver for the 10% penalty. I used turbo tax to file my taxes and while turbo tax did put me through a questionnaire that resulted in it saying I owed a penalty, it never subtracted the penalty or told me how to go about paying...

View more questions Search