Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grahambjmarsh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Banging Pipes
    Banging pipes in the early morning, flushing air out with main off did not work.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 16, 2008, 02:12 PM
    Is it localized to one faucet, if so repair the faucet.

Secure the pipes.
    Add one or more watter hammer arresters.

Add pressure regulator to supply if severe.

So, a little more info like how many faucets are affected and if they are close to one another and/or is hot and cold affected.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Does the bang happen when the faucet is turned on slow?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 17, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by grahambjmarsh
    Banging pipes in the early morning, flushing air out with main off did not work.
    I assume that it's the water pipes and not the drainage. It sounds like you may have "water hammer" when you shut off a faucet or is it air in your lines in the AM? Please be more explicit and give us more details. Regards, Tom
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Yey maybe it's like the song "knock three times on the ceiling if if you want me, twice on the pipes..."
    grahambjmarsh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 02:22 PM
    The banging starts around 4am [no one using faucets], it is the water pipes not the drainage. As for air in the lines we did the shut down mains thing with no results. It seems to be inside the wall around the bathroom & laundry but hard 2 pinpoint.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2008, 05:45 AM
    Sounds like a surge. Try an expansion tank on your system or a spring check valve. [i know the spring check valve sounds goofy, that is what I told another plumber when he installed one on a water main as it entered the house, but it worked]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging BR Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

We have an upstairs bathroom. Basement = hot water tank, BR = 2nd story. Pipes bang when water in BR is turned off and on. Lately, they have been growling when the toilet is flushed and the water ina faucet is running at the same time. What is causing?

Banging Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Why do the pipes make a loud banging sound every time the toilet is flused or hot water turned off from a faucet? :confused:

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

In just one bathroom when the water is turned on the pipes bang when the water is running or when the toilet is flush

Banging pipes [ 9 Answers ]

Whenever I use a water service (tap/shower/toilet/etc) in my house, the pipes rattle and make banging sounds. Can someone explain why this is happening and how it can be corrected? Thanks!

View more questions Search