Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Twelling Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 07:00 PM
    My dog sometimes gets scared of walking down the stairs
    Hi everyone,

It's weird. During the last 2 months, I've noticed that my 98 pounds golden lab of 6 years has started having trouble coming down the basement. In fact, the oddity is not just restricted to the basement; sometimes when he runs upstairs to where we sleep, he has a hard time coming back down stairs to the main floor.

It takes a while to coax him to come back down, and I just sit at the stairs with him till he takes a chance.

He then slips a little, but I'm there to hold him before any injury can occur. Then we slowly make our way down, with me always in front of him so he doesn't fall or anything. When I see him like that, it makes me feel really bad for him.

But it's odd because, sometimes, he has no trouble at all.

Is this psychological?

Well, I did clips his nails a few weeks ago. It sort of helped. Now its like 50/50; half the times he will just stare down the stairs with frustration at his inability to join us.

Sometimes he just pounces down without thinking about it.

I hope he's all right.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys have to offer :)
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 7, 2006, 07:30 PM
    Hi,

Have you taken him to see his vet? It's possible that he is developing arthritis in his hips. My siberian husky has this same problem, although she was a bit older. She eventually gave up climbing (or descending) stairs altogether. Your best bet is to take him to the vet though!
    Twelling Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 07:33 PM
    Mmm you're probably right. I got to push my dad to take him out to the vet one day. I just got my G1 a few months ago, so I'll be able to drive on my own in like a year? But till then, I''ll have to voncince someone else to drive him.
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 7, 2006, 07:36 PM
    In the meantime, keeping his toenails short is a great idea. Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Yes, the arthritis in the hips or other such problem is a likely cause. At 6 years old, he may be starting to lose muscle tone and poor joint structure catching up to him. Have you ever tried crawling down the stairs head first? I was much younger when I tried it, but it was scary.

Any physical problems he has will be made worse if he is over weight as is common with Goldens. The vet will back me on this. Here is a good guide to a longer, active life for any dog.

September 07, link to chart replaced with LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2006, 06:43 AM
    Scared coming down stairs
    Hi,
    I agree with all the answers you have received. Please take him to a Vet, checking for arthritis and also ask the Vet about his weight; that is, if the Vet thinks he might need to lose some.
    Those toenails can grow very fast, especially when one forgets about them for awhile. It sometimes makes walking difficult, not to mention stairs!
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy resistant to walking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a puppy approximately 14 weeks old. He is resistant to walking. He doesn't seem to have any particular fears to anything, however he grabs the lead in his mouth, refuses to walk, won't leave the yard, etc. When I try to get him to go he becomes somewhat aggressive and tries to bite my feet,...

Preventing walking pests from climbing legged furnatures [ 4 Answers ]

How do I preventing walking pests (e.g. ants) from climbing legged furnatures (table)? Would rubbing some petroleum jelly on the lower portion of the table prevent the ants from climbing?

Stairs in my dream [ 3 Answers ]

I dream about stairs almost every night. I dream that I am running down endless flights of stairs or falling down stairs. I am never going up these stairs, always down. Does anyone know what this might mean?

Where to find stairs? [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know where I can find these stairs (link below). I live in Los Angeles. These stairs are cement with large pebbles on top. Currently they are cracked and need to be replaced. They are welded on. stairs THANKS, Joseph

Concrete Stairs [ 2 Answers ]

I am interested in pouring concrete 'pyramid-like' stairs. I would prefer to do this one stair at a time. How long should I wait for the first stair to cure before I pour another? Thank You

View more questions Search