Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sugarplum26nc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Life Insurance Policy
    My mother died on 9/22/06 and I was told she had a life insurance policy but have yet to find it. She was married to a man who was a drug addict but he never knew that she had one. What are the steps that I need to take to find one on her or to see if she ever had one? Please someone let me know any information that you may have about finding one I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2008, 08:52 PM
    If you have access to her cancelled checks you can see who the insurance company was that she would write out the premiums to. Some premiums are paid yearly, some every 6 months, some every 4 months and some monthly. If you have no idea who the insurance company is... guess what... it's going to be next to impossible to find out just who the insurance company is, let alone if she had a policy with them as most insurance companies as a rule do not reveal this information to just anyone. If you had the actual policy in your hot little hand, then that is a totally different story, but right now you have no idea where to start looking. Also if it was a term life insurance policy, it could have lapsed for non payment. If it was a whole life policy those are a little bit different but not really unless she paid a small fortune up front for this insurance.

You need to start digging into those cancelled checks for starters.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2008, 08:53 PM
    You will have to look thouigh all of her papers and files. You will need to check her mail coming in over the next month to see if there is a bill for it. And look though her old bank records.

There is no central data base that has this info.

The insurance company can only pay the person who is listed on the policy to receive the money. So who gets the money will depend not on who finds it, but who is listed in the policy to receive the money

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Search for life insurance policy [ 9 Answers ]

How can I find if a life insurance policy exists on a recently deceased parent?

Life insurance policy and trustees [ 2 Answers ]

My parents took out a life insurance policy for my father when they married 40 years ago. As far as my mother can recall they are both trustees and beneficiaries. They divorced 30 years ago and the communication between them is not good. Is my mother entitled to any of the policy payout even though...

Life insurance policy [ 3 Answers ]

Will the insurance company deduct any taxes on a life insurance policy? Is the year end taxable?

How to cash in a life insurance policy [ 6 Answers ]

I have a life insurance policy that is over 25 years old. I have the name of the insurance co. but I have no idea what the policy number is. Is there any way that I can locate the proper insurance co. without the policy number. Every time I type in the name of the insurance co. I get a list of all...

Fiancee's ex-girlfriend is his alternate trustee on life insurance policy [ 1 Answers ]

Need advice! My fiancee's ex-girlfriend, who just so happens to be partner in a family law firm, is currently the alternate trustee on his life insurance policy. His mother is the trustee. I understand that their platonic friendship turned into an intimate one and they eventually became lovers....

View more questions Search