Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hooper Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Custom Tile Shower?
    I am planning on putting a custom shower in my basement and was not sure on how to handle the floor. The plumbing is roughed in but inside the shower is just a flat concrete floor ( the floor was cut to add the drain.) I feel I need to add some slop to the drain. I heard of a dry mortor bed but I am not sure if this is the correct solution. I plan on tiling the entire shower, (floor and walls). I do have cement board for the walls but I am unsure how to tackle the floor. Thanks.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 7, 2006, 12:29 PM
    Slope of the floor towards the drain should be 1/4" per foot. To make sure you have proper pitch you may need to install the dry mortar bed. It also will work better with the tile installation. Too much moisture from the concrete slab may not bond the tile properly. Add moisture in a shower and the chances increase of improper bonding. You can check the slab w/ a moisture meter. Check thinset manufactures recommended moisture level.
    If you have the slope and OK w/ moisture, go for it. Make sure the cement board is tight to the floor and seal that seam before tiling.
    Another option would be install a fiberglass shower pan and just tile the walls. Then you know you have the pitch. It will be less problematic.
    Hooper Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2006, 08:51 PM
    I guess I need intructions on how to do the dry mortor bed. Any help is apprciated. Thanks
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 8, 2006, 11:47 AM
    http://www.thetiledoctor.com/howto/showers4.cfm

That said I consider myself handy and unafraid to do most things, but I wouldn't try this, prefab shower floors look nice enough for me and the tile work I added to the wallls draws the eyes away anyway.

Edit: Not sure why I liked that page, I started reading the article myself. There are like five pages to it that can be found on the left.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 11, 2006, 06:18 AM
    Here is another link from John Bridge, a true tile guru, I wish that he worked in the Minneapolis area.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...723#post103723

You can also check at a local tile shop. They typically hold how to classes (so they can sell more tile).

Here is another link for something to help with getting the correct pitch on the shower floor. It is what I am going to use.

http://www.quick-pitch.com/

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Dan
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 11, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Good link Dan!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing Fiberglass Shower/Tub with Custom Built [ 6 Answers ]

I want to rip out my fiberglass shower/tub assembly (1970 vintage) and install a new tub with tiled shower walls above, glass doors, and all new fixtures. Is there a good plan available somewhere as to how to do this? I'm particularly curious as to what base is required to attach the tiles. Any...

Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab. My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill? I would...

Custom shower stall construction [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Could you give me specific steps to build custom shower base - what is the best membrane to install in the shower base, how to do it as well how to attach it to shower drain Thanks Bogdan

Installing new tile on top of shower pan [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to be installing tile over durock cement board which sits on the top edge of my shower pan and just slightly over hangs into shower pan. Should I rest the starter row of tiles down on the cultured marble shower pan which has a 1/2 in lip or should I leave maybe 1/8 gap and if so what do...

View more questions Search