Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roca Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 02:30 PM
    GFI outlets
    I have an older home with no GFI outlets. What is involved in installing them, and how many do I need? Thanks, Roca
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 6, 2006, 02:50 PM
    You should have GFCI's in all the baths, kitchen, exterior & garage (if you have one). They aren't hard to install.
    Black wire to the brass screws, white to silver and ground to green. You need to know which wire comes from the breaker or the source. That is your "line" any wires that feed off that outlet to other outlets is your "load". You need to wire these correctly in order for them to work properly. You can also install GFCI breakers. They will protect all that is on the circuit.

Jan 6, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Gfi
    Thanks, Skiberger, sounds easy enough. What do the GFI outlets actually protect if they are only installed in the kitchen, bath, garage, etc. Would it be expensive to get GFI breakers for all circuits?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 6, 2006, 03:36 PM
    You install GFCI's where ever there will be moisture or water. It protects you from getting zapped. Example.. if your trimming the hedges, you cut the cord, your standing in wet graas. You realize what happened and by accident you come in contact w/ the ends of the cord, good chance at getting zapped. With a GFCI, when installed correctly, as soon as the cord was cut or hit the wet grass, the GFCI outlet or breaker would have cut the electricity preventing any danger. You do not need to install GFCI breakers on all circuits, only the ones mentioned above.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 6, 2006, 08:00 PM
    Adding detail to a good post. Identify the first outlet in the circuit, usually the closest to the breaker box. It should have an incoming feed cable and a second cable going on the next. A GFCI outlet has terminals marked line and load. If you connect the feed to the GFCI line terminals, then anything connected to the load terminals will be GFCI protected too. Also, I don't think bathroom lights have to be GFCI unless they are over a tub or shower. It certainly will not hurt to be. It won't hurt anything except your pocket book to make everything in the house GFCI.

One advantage of the outlets over the circuit breakers for the less experienced is that inside the breaker box is not the best place for the DIY. Even with the main breaker off, the main feed wires are still exposed and hot, big fat conductors straight out to the transformer on the pole. If you do get into the box, you might update the bedrooms with the now required arc fault breakers for new work.

Jan 6, 2006, 08:15 PM
    Gfci
    Thanks much, Skiberger and Labman, I'll now go to Home Depot and get 'em.

Roca
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 9, 2006, 12:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Roca
    Would it be expensive to get GFI breakers for all circuits?
    Whatever you do in the end, just keep in mind that GFCI breakers are more expensive than outlets; outlets cost around $10-$12 each while breakers cost around $30 each.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too many outlets on a circuit? [ 5 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into our home 2 years ago(newly built) and the home had an unfinished basement(2 car garage and 2 unfinished rooms). The basement is currently on 1 circuit. Both rooms are now finished and each have 4 electrical outlets. The garage has 3 eletrical outlets, and there are also 2...

Basement outlets [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I wanted to clarify something that was said in another thread but wasn't sure if I should add to that one or start a new one. I have heard that you should place GFI outlets in your basement. TkRussell stated that you do not need them ot is not code for fridges, freezers, washers, sump pumps. I...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a new home and it seems that some of the outlets in our house have stopped working since we've moved in. They are just regular outlets in the living room and also the outside outlets are not working. Is this a problem for a licensed electrician or is there something I can do to fix...

No power to outlets! [ 2 Answers ]

Just recently noticed that one of the bedrooms outlets and the switches in the adjacent half bath were not getting any power... they worked just fine earlier in the day. The light in the bedroom works fine but the outlets do not. I checked all my breakers traced them and they all seem to do...

View more questions Search