Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbit100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 09:00 PM
    Dishwasher electric cables touching water pipes
    Hi - A friend recently helped me install a new dishwasher by running an electric connection from a nearby outlet. For the extension, he took the power source from the outlet then connected to a metal box which he then ran a connection to the dishwasher. I noticed that the metal box is right next to (in fact) touching the water source to sink. I was a bit concerned about the connection but he reassured me that its OK and metioned that many buildings use the pipes as ground.

My gutt feeling tells me that this type of connection could be dangerous since the cables are exposed if a water leak ever took place. Could you please let me know if this is something I should be worried about? Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 10:35 PM
    This is not something that you want to do. It can create "ground loops" in the house where ground is now not a zero volts. Pipes can vibrate and punch through, being near the box.
    I'd correct it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Hot water pipe touching fire sprinker pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I discovered why the water pressure in my fire prinkler system kept rising. It's because the hot water pipe is right up against the sprinkler pipe causing it to heat which then increases the pressure. Now can I wrap the pipe with insulation. Would this be a good fix? If so, should I wrap the hot...

Water pipes [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone I'm introducing myself I'm new to this site and I'm having a little problem with my water pipes every time we turn on our taps it makes an awful noise and we can't get rid of it Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee someone help Shawn

Vibrating (Banging) Water Pipes (Water Running) [ 2 Answers ]

When upstairs tub valve is opened for the first time in the evening, loud banging noise sometimes ensues from pipes. Banging is alleviated when supply is redirected to showerhead, or when water is turned off. Single-handle Pegasus (Home Depot) valve. No issues when supply is off (not "water...

Running Electric, Cat5, and Telephone Cables [ 1 Answers ]

Hi -- I'm new to this site! Thanks for making it available. I have a new 18x36' shed that I am going to put a sub-panel in. The sub-panel will be 100 amps and is approximately 120' from the main panel located in the main house. So, I will be running underground electric cable from the main...

View more questions Search