Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Jan 13, 2008, 08:51 PM
    I have 2 flat panel TV's that don't work, one plasma, one lcd
    One of them is a Dell W4200HD 42"Plasma, and it has a broken screen. The outer layer is not broke at all, so I assume the inner part of the screen broke from drop impact. The second layer is clear and is shattered. The white layer under that one is either scratched or cracked, can't really tell. Anyway, so a new screen would cost more than the TV itself cost new. Does that make any sense? Is this TV worth even messing with? If I could find a screen, I would probably attempt to replace it.

The second TV is a Sharp Aquos LC-45GX6U 45" LCD, and it needs all four inverters listed here:
    p.w.b inverter #1 DUNTKC471UJ01
    p.w.b inverter #2 DUNTKC472UJ01
    p.w.b inverter #3 DUNTKC473UJ01
    p.w.b inverter #4 DUNTKC474UJ01

It would cost over $900 for these, which includes two $150 core charges for not having broken ones to give the company. Anyone know where I might could find a TV like this one that has a broken screen for parts? Or does anyone have any advice? I assume that I should just toss these in a dumpster and just buy a brand new TV. What do you think?

Thanks,
    Michael
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 14, 2008, 07:42 AM
    If the Dell screen was dropped during shipment to you, then call dell and tell them they need to ship you a new screen

On the LCD, explain to me why you need one not to mention 4 separate inverters to allow this screen to work?

I'm going to look fro the specs on the lcd, in the meantime, p-lease tell me exactly why you need the inverters and where do you see that "In Writing"
    hauser5 Posts: 699, Reputation: 92

Jan 14, 2008, 08:36 AM
    I was given these TV's, and they have no warranty. As far as the inverters, the screen may work without them, but since they are to backlight the screen, I'm sure it wouldn't be worth watching. All I know is that there are four empty spaces where the service manual says they go, and I need them for the TV to work as it should.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 14, 2008, 09:04 AM
    You are not alone with the broken Screen.
    Found some sources on the following link:
    Fixing a Broken Plasma Screen?
    Good Luck.
    1 guy says he has 500 broken units, Maybe check one out that screen is good, but has other problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plasma won't work as a display for my laptop . [ 1 Answers ]

In the past I have been able to use my plasma TV as a display for my laptop with relative ease. Basically I just connect it up via a vga cord and hit Fn/F4 which shoots the image up to the plasma. Each time you hit Fn/F4 it kind of scrolls through having the picture on both the laptop and...

LCD Flat panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Does anyone know if all flat panel monitors are LCD. I just purchased one and I find it irritates my eyes. Also any advice would be appreciated. Thank you. Amy

Installing a 60 AMP sub panel for a work shop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 200 AMP main panel for my residence with all the breaker slots filled. I plan on removing 2 20 amp breakers and installing a 1 60 x 2 20 amp consolidated breaker in to the panel. Well at least I am told I can do this. I plan on having 2 240 VAC 30 amp breakers in the shop (one will have...

Another flat panel question [ 4 Answers ]

I have been reading up on 19' flat panel monitors in anticipation of buying one. I am a little confused by the native resolution thing. I am over 50 years old and a little worried about text and picture imge size as I do a lot of online reading and a fair amount of photo processing. If I understand...

View more questions Search