Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Panshel55 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2008, 05:39 PM
    House ownership
    My husband bought a house when he was single. After we got married and started living in the house together, he asked me to pay half of the mortgage, property tax and house insurance, but it doesn't make any sense to me! First of all, I don't like this house. Second, he has a sole-ownership of this house. I am not familiar with ownership system and succession of property in US, and I am worried what would happen if we get divorce or he die earlyer than I do. I guess I should pay him some since I live in this house, but I don't want to pay half of the total amount. It's huge! I don't know what to do.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 13, 2008, 05:44 PM
    In most marriages, while each partner may have some money of their own, its mostly shared and then bills are paid out of the shared funds.

But you are correct in being concerned about what happens to the house. You should either have yourself added to the deed.
    shellyki Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Jan 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
    First off have you talked to him about your feelings on this? If not I think you should start there. Just let him know how you feel, tell him you love him and love being married to him and want to enjoy your life together. Ask him his feelings about the house and see if you can work out solutions that can make you both happy.

There are nine community property states - Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin. In addition, Puerto Rico is a community property jurisdiction.

These states generally regard as community property all property that has been acquired during the marriage, other than a gift or inheritance. Even if one spouse earns all the money to acquire the property, all the property acquired is considered to be community property. While there are a number of differences in each state, all states have special laws that operate on the theory that both spouses contribute equally to the marriage; thus all property acquired during the marriage is the result of the combined efforts of both spouses. In community property jurisdictions, spouses equally own all community property (fifty percent owned by the husband and fifty percent owned by the wife).
    http://family-law.freeadvice.com/divorce_law/714

You may also suggest that you will agree to pay 35% and that you want some type of contract with him that you will own so much of the home based on the payments you give him. I would approach that subject with love and ensure him that you just want to be included in his investment of the home.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 13, 2008, 08:16 PM
    1. If you are already doing my money and his money, and his bills and my bills. You already have serious issues to make the marriage work.
    Normally couples share all their bills, You will need to do a few things,

1. He can add you to the mortgage and deed most likely,
    Or he can make a will up so if he dies the house goes to you. Also you can write up a agreement that states if you divorce, he pays you this or that for the your share of the house.

But I am sure this is just one of many money issues, and perhaps a good money manager to help both of you set up a budget together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Software ownership [ 3 Answers ]

If my company purchases a computer from a bankruputcy; do we legally own the cad software installed on the computer purchaed ?

Home ownership [ 1 Answers ]

How does my mother add my name to the title

Proof of ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I built a new house 6 years ago; we received a certificate of occupancy from our township . Do we need a title for the house or the COO is enough proof of the ownership?

View more questions Search