Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vasanthnewb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 07:24 AM
    MB kbps
    1 MB is equal to how many kbps?
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jan 12, 2008, 07:54 AM
    They're not directly related. One is a size (1MB) and the other is a rate (kbps).

1MB = 1 Megabyte (Capital B is Bytes while Lowercase b is bits)
    kbps = Kilobits per second.

You use ##MB to describe the size of a file for instance (as in 500MB). You use ###kpbs to describe the speed at which data travels through a network (as in 56 kilo bits per second).

Even though they're not related you can relate them when you ask a question such as "How fast can I transfer a 200MB file at a rate of 56kbps". What you would then need to do is either convert the file size to same transfer units as the rate OR convert the rate's units to be the same as the file size units. For the example above (and this is just illustrative as there are other factors to consider) you would do this:

We need to convert the 200MB to the same units as our rate (56 Kilobits per second). So we convert from Mega to Kilo by multiplying by 1024. So 200*1024 = 204800 KB (Kilo Bytes). Our rate is in Kilobits so we need to convert Bytes to Bits (8 Bits = 1 Byte) so we get 204800*8=1638400Kb (Kilobits). So now that we have the same units we can figure out the time in seconds it takes to transfer:

1638400 Kilobit divided by 56 Kilobits per sec seconds (rounded to the nearest second) which is roughly 8.1 hours.

Casey
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 09:19 AM
    Ever so close!

As indicated in the previous post, "B" vs "b" is the difference between a full Byte or a bit of which there are 8 of in a byte.

Meg and Kiglo refer to size. For example I can send one meg-abyte od parallel data to the high speed parallel port of a printer (1,024,000 bytes).

I can send one kilo bits per second to my serially connected printer, (1,024) bits.

You an also use Meg to describe the data transfer rate of you basic network, for example ten Mega bits per second.

Bit iws the smallest unit of data. Byte is the description of the collection of 8 bits.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search