Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GEM127 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 08:07 AM
    Sliding glass doors
    I recently replaced the old rollers with new rollers on a older sliding glass door. I had to take the frame apart (both sides and bottom) so I could get to the rollers. I had a really hard time putting the sides back on because the rubber gasket would not stay in place. Is there a trick to getting this gasket back in place?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 04:29 PM
    GEM, it's a bit late to bring this up but I have never seen a sliding door that require dismantling the frame as you described. Some just lift about 3/8" and come off a track, you must be prying up on the lower roller with a thin screw driver or drywall knife. Others have a jack mechanism built into the rollers and you turn a large screw on the door near the floor and the roller lifts into the door a bit. I'd need a pic to help with your gasket, it really should not have just fallen out because you took the frame apart.
    GEM127 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    GEM, its a bit late to bring this up but I have never seen a sliding door that require dismantling the frame as you described. Some just lift up about 3/8" and come off a track, you must be prying up on the lower roller with a thin screw driver or drywall knife. Others have a jack mechanism built into the rollers and you turn a large screw on the door near the floor and the roller lifts up into the door a bit. I'd need a pic to help with your gasket, it really should not have just fallen out because you took the frame apart.
    I had no problem getting the door out. I had to undo the screws on both side of the door so I could get the bottom plate off, so I could remove the rollers. And now I am having problems getting the sides of the frame with the gasket to go back together again. I was told to try some liquid soap or vaseline.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sliding closet doors [ 2 Answers ]

Need to know how to put sliding closet door back onto track, is there a trick to it. I have tried everything:confused:

Sliding shower doors [ 1 Answers ]

I Need Step By Step Directions On Installing Sliding Shower Doors, I Think One Is Stationary.someone Took All The Frame Down And Now I Need To Put It Back Together, I'm Not Quite Sure How?

Sliding Barn Doors [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to build a double door for a barn that slides on channel. The will each be 6' wide and 12' tall. Any thing I need to know?

Old sliding glass doors [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all. I have a four panel sliding glass door from the 60’s The outside panels are fixed with the middle panels sliding. The doors are single glass. The frame channels are wide. Is there a way to replace the single glass with a thermal pane glass? Is this cost effective. I do...

View more questions Search