Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lllsmilelll Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Wind generator or solar panels?
    Hello, we flooded our basement because of power outage and the sump pump stopped.
    I was thinking of having a battery generator (either 600w or 1500w that has an outlet so
    I can connect the outlet of the sump pump to it)

I don't have any clue how long the battery will last so I thought I will have a wind generator
    (400w which costs about $700) or solar panels (40w costing $250) to charge the battery.

Can somebody tell me how many watts of power I would need to charge a 600w or 1500w battery? Also solar charges only during the day, would a 600w battery be OK to run a sumppump for a night until it can charge again ?
    I am going to use this for the sump pump only. Sump pump says 115 volts and is running
    Endlessly when its raining.

Would like to have it connected all year long if possible(if so will I be able to just have everything connected and running on its own?) If not just emergency usage is fine.
    Of course I will have to manually reconnect the sump pump outlet to the generator when power goes out. But this won't happen often hopefully!

Thank you and warm regards.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 06:38 AM
    I wonder if a 12 Volt bilge pump, 12 Volt Car Battery, and a small charger would be better, as it will work even if power is lost.
    115 volt ac motor would need an inverter, and the conversion is not efficient.
    You could have the Battery charged by a Small Solar panel, or small wind generator.
    You would also need a float switch, or some type of water sensor. There are several.
    Raysylvon Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jun 25, 2011, 01:29 PM
    Raysylvon,

I understand your problem about sump pump I had one I used to pump an underground spring that ran

Underneath my house. I Had to put everything on skids. When the pump went out and had to be replaced

It really caused havoc, but I moved and that was years ago.

A used bilge pumps on barges wing tanks and floods and will remove a great deal of water fast.

You could plug it to a timer switch and connect it to a power pack battery pack charger that will

That will hold a charge, start your engine and pump up a flat tire at least 2 of those should do.

Buy a switch box for a 45 watt solar panel then you need a step up power converter to plug into the

Previous switch box. Not as complicated or costly as it sounds. I bought most of those items at

Harbor Freight Tools.

p.s. make sure it is allowed in code in your community.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wind Loads [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know how to calculate the wind load on a wooden fence? I have used 12 foot 4 x 4 pressure treated posts set in 4 feet of concrete spaced 8 feet apart. The concrete was poured in a 12 inch in diameter concrete tube. I used a strong concrete mix in the ratio 3:2:2. I want to use...

How do I run my air conditioner with solar panels [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I live in sunny Puerto Rico and I am interested in installing solar (photovoltaic) panels to run the house; however, no one is able to tell me how to operate our a/c. I understand the issue with the high energy demand when the compressor kicks in, but how do I overcome it? With...

Solar Heating Panels [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the most efficencent heat raiser, Black screen?

Getting the wind knocked out of you [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it when someone gets hit in the stomach it "knocks the wind out of you"? Why does it take so long for someone to be able to breath again? What is actually happening?

Wind load [ 1 Answers ]

How can I calculate wind load on anchor bolts for chain link fence posts? Then, how to calculate same load if posts are anchored and buried in 30" of concrete?

View more questions Search