Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 03:34 PM
    Harassment - again!
    I am attempting to locate the server in a matter involving internet threats and harassment - Scott posted some good advice and I went to that site but I am such a computer novice that I am totally lost.

Does anyone have a source, an expert, who does this sort of checking? I believe they are being sent from a place of employment, a large corporation.

This has gone beyond the "block and ignore" stage -

Police are involved but it's the internet, the new Federal law has everyone's head spinning - and not much is being done.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 03:42 PM
    The police can trace internet very easy as long as its not a dial up server.
    Those are harder to trace. I have had the police trace several over this last 12 months for certain reasons.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 03:47 PM
    If it's not webmail then your chances increase dramatically. The domain name of the email should give the ISP or company, it's simply a matter of scoring a contact there and forwarding the offending emails.
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Yes, if it is a DSL or a cable, the ISP address is always the same. If it is dial up, the ISP changes each time you log on, but can be traced back to the company. Then the company will have to ( with a warrant) trace which uses were on during that speciic time, it is much more work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Judy,

There was a case that hit the papers on Long Island today about a gang of kids who put up phony ads on Craigslist for a Porsche. When prospective buyers showed up they were attacked and the cash deposit stolen.

I mention it because the ring was traced by the IP address used to post on Craigslist. So its definitely possible if you get the right police.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes, if it is a DSL or a cable, the ISP address is always the same. If it is dial up, the ISP changes each time you log on, but can be traced back to the company. Then the company will have to ( with a warrant) trace which uses were on during that speciic time, it is much more work.
    Actually I'm referring to the email providers not the internet providers although it's often similar. The email provider does not need session info like an ISP does, they just need proof that one of their users is violating their terms of service.
    Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 06:04 PM
    Do you mean like hot mail or Yahoo mail?
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Those webmail services all have an abuse@ email address. Hotmail would be [email protected], Yahoo would have a [email protected], etc. I know because I have used it and gotten replies. The only recourse there is that the user would have their account terminated.

ISP or corporate email accounts are better in that you can get the actual person in some trouble. For a corporate email account I would find their website then find a few contact email addresses (one for the hosts of their site and one for HR of the company), then ask if they are the correct people to contact if you have received some abusive emails using their domain name email account. An ISP email account (Comcast, AOL, etc) usually has an email address similar to the abuse@ that the webmail folks have. The kicker here is that the account is tied to real information about the user and thus action can be taken.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Those webmail services all have an abuse@ email address. Hotmail would be [email protected], Yahoo would have a [email protected], etc. I know because I have used it and gotten replies. The only recourse there is that the user would have their account terminated.

ISP or corporate email accounts are better in that you can get the actual person in some trouble. For a corporate email account I would find their website then find a few contact email addresses (one for the hosts of their site and one for HR of the company), then ask if they are the correct people to contact if you have received some abusive emails using their domain name email account. An ISP email account (Comcast, AOL, etc) usually has an email address similar to the abuse@ that the webmail folks have. The kicker here is that the account is tied to real information about the user and thus action can be taken.

Oh - this might work because the Police are definitely not interested. Excellent when you can't get legal intervention.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 07:48 AM
    Hello Judy:

If you're not getting help from the establishment, which doesn't surprise me, you may need the marketplace. I found these people after googling "internet private investigation":

Internet Investigation Solutions

There are more.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drive by harassment [ 4 Answers ]

I posted a ? About a week ago about child abandonment.. Now I have a problem with my daughters step mom driving by my house and yelling I'm taking your daughter flipping me the bird,etc. I reported her but there is no harassment laws in Ohio and that is where the incendent happened. I don't know...

Harassment At Work [ 28 Answers ]

I have worked in a dentist office for 5 years. I have grown attached to my patients and most of the people I work with. It isa small practice, about 12 employees. There is a male that I work with who is a bully, lazy, and degrading to women. I have documented incidents with him getting in my...

I think its harassment [ 3 Answers ]

Here's the thing, I have been getting e-mails from my ex about her wanting to get back together with me, even though I told her I already had a girlfriend. She ignored that, and consistently sends me notes, e-mail, e-mails pictures of her"self" if you know what I mean, and the other day, she even...

Neighbor harassment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neighbor who is an adult and has three minor teenage daughters. Her youngest daughter is fourteen. I have a daughter who is thirteen and has epilepsy. The neighbors daughter is constantly threatening and harassing my daughter. The moment she walks outside to play with her friends she is...

Sexual harassment [ 21 Answers ]

I have the following question. There was a VOLUNTARY christmas party for the employees of the store I work at and we were not on the timeclock as attendees. One of the supervisors got drunk, and while joking put his hand on the knee of one of the girls he surpervises. He has now been put on a...

View more questions Search