Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TAConnor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Icemaker line for refrigerator
    Hi,
    I want to install an icemaker line for my new refrigerator, I would like to use flexible copper. Here is my problem, my kitchen is on a slab, and I have to run the line up into my crawl space, which gets below 32 degrees in the winter. Would I be able to insulate this line or possibly run it through pvc. My house is a split level, and if I can insulate the line I can run the copper across my crawl space through the other side of my split and down to my utility room. I am very concered about the line freezing. Any suggestions wouls be helpful.

Thanks

T.C.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 03:30 PM
    Is it not possible to run the line from off your existing cold water line at the sink?
    TAConnor Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
    HI,

I thought about doing this, but I would still have to come up through my kitchen cabinet from the refrigerator, up through the crawl space and across my kitchen ceiling and drop the line down behind my kitchen sink, then I would have 2 -90 degree turns. Both of my water lines for the kitchen sink come through my concrete slab, I would also have to cut out the back of my kitchen cabinet to get to the new line. It's a shorter route for the line, but I would be afraid of creasing the line for the bends.

Thanks

T.C.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Hi T.C... hey, I know of one crazy idea that has been used in similar situations... could always run the tubing from under the kitchen sink, up the inside wall to the ceiling line and punch out into room say 1.5 inches below ceiling and run this around the ceiling (clipping every 4-6 ft.) and drop down to refrigerator... again, could punch back into wall at ceiling and drop behind wall, pulling it back out behind the refrigerator (as long as not an outside wall)... THEN you could run a reasonably priced wood moulding around the ceiling to hide the tubing. This would eliminate any concerns about freezing altogether AND may add additional depth and beauty to your kitchen. OR... IF your cabinets are up tight to the ceiling with a moulding to ceiling this can be removed and the tubing run through and the molding replaced... BUT that is expensive and difficult... ANYWAY... just thought I would pass this on... like I said, worked for a few people over the years. GOOD LUCK!
    P.S.>>>> If you use wood moulding I would recommend using 1/4" o.d. PLASTIC compression tubing ...will make turning the corners/drops easier...you may even have to dig out some plaster at the corners, just make sure it is hidden by the moulding.

If my answer was helpful, please RATE MY ANSWER! Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Refrigerator - water line [ 1 Answers ]

The line to my water dispenser started to leak so I need to replace the whole line. Most of the line is 1/4" the part that I need to replace is 3/16'. I have tried to find this line and none of the plumbing stores carry it and they tell me it is an odd size. Does anybody know where I can get...

How to connect line from washer to Refrigerator ? [ 1 Answers ]

The refrigerator is located against a wall that has the water line to the washing machine close bye. Can I tie into that line to get water to my new refrigerator? What precautions besides the water cut-off valve do I need to be concerned with? I have not messed with plumbing before, is this a...

Maytag refrigerator icemaker tubing [ 1 Answers ]

Maytag friges say "do not use plastic tubing kits to connect the icemaker". Is there a legitimate reason to use copper. I have both kits, but I would rather have the flexability of the plastic so that it can flex when I pull the frige out. Thanks

Water hammer since installing icemaker line... [ 7 Answers ]

I connected the icemaker to the cold water in the sink area of the kitchen. I changed the single output shutoff valve that was on the cold water, and put a dual output. One side to sink, other to icemaker. I now hear a noticeable "clunk" sound when the upstairs toilet stops filling, and a less...

View more questions Search