Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ralphstrn123 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 06:35 PM
    Exempt Taxes
    How does an employee claim exempt on there taxes do they need a certain form
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 07:39 AM
    You mean claim "Exempt" on W4?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Ralph:

MukatA is right; you are not being very clear.

Do you mean exempt as in being exempt under a J-1 visa?

Do you mean exempt as in claiming "exempt" fromincome tax withholding on your W-4?

Do you mean exempt from FICA taxes?

We need clarity to address the question properly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a certificate to exempt from FICA taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in OPT and working as full time now. I know I don't have to pay FICA and FICA MedC taxes, but my employer/company will not stop withholding those taxes for me UNLESS I have a written certification to prove that I don't have to pay the society security taxes." So I just want to know how I...

What documents proof that F1 student exempt from taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I have the similar problem with my company. I am F1 visa holder student and do my OPT in Atlanta and graduated from an university in GA state. I gave documents to my company such as copy of VISA, I 94, and link from IRS.org that says F! Students are not subject of Medical and SS...

Exempt and non-exempt salary [ 2 Answers ]

I know that non-exempt salary employees are paid for overtime. What is the federal legal requirement for an exempt employee. i.e. management?

Taxes, optional training and tax exempt treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm getting a little confused with taxes... My situation: I was in optional training for the whole 2006 year. I'm from Spain and I have an exempt taxes treaty. I didn't leave the country for more than a year. And I worked in several jobs. So I understand that since I didn't leave,...

J-1 visa exempt of SS and Medicare taxes (Work and Travel program) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was present in us for 150 days in 2005 on a J-1visa. I participate in Work and Travel program. Surprisingly for me, my employer deducts SS and Medicare taxes from my salary. I talked to him about that and he said that IRS would fix the mistake in the end of the year. I filled...

View more questions Search