Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spop Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Dog attacks owner for items that doesn't belong to him
    My dog has been getting violent with me when I touch his food tray and water bowl. I think I understand why that happens. But now when I by accident drop something that belongs to me in front of him, I get scare. When I try to pick the item up, he growls and snaps at me. I always have to distract him before I can get my item back. I'm tired of this. Any training advice? :eek:
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2008, 12:42 PM
    What kind of dog, how old, and how long have you had him please? Does he do this with anyone else in your household or just you?
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 12:57 PM
    You have a major aggression problem here. Left alone he/she will bite you and worse yet a child. She needs to be evaluated by a vet for any possible medical problems that may be contributing to this aggression.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
    It sounds like you have a major leadership problem here. You are allowing your dog to be the alpha dog in the pack and he is bullying you for your possessions and what he views as his. What he is doing is called "guarding behavior". Labman has some great info on how to assert yourself as the leader of the pack. Hopefully he will post it when he stops by.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 04:15 PM
    As suggested above call your vet. If the dog is intact get him neutered. Ask the vet for a referral for a trainer that deals with aggression issues.
    Just make sure that the trainer does not want to use methods to break his spirit or crate /kennel and let him go hungry for days. When I was looking for a trainer I had to weed out those that wanted to use harsh methods.

Jan 9, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    What kind of dog, how old, and how long have you had him please? Does he do this with anyone else in your household or just you?
    Chow Chow, 1 1/2yr old, owned since March 2006. Yes, he does this with my adult sister too.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:11 AM
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Jan 11, 2008, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    Thanks. I like rule #20 on Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Jan 11, 2008, 08:49 PM
    Letting your dog know you are the boss

Just want to add that does not mean kicking the snot out of the dog! Some people do abuse animals and say they are showing who is boss.

Apr 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
    Well, he just bit me. I tried taking an ink pen that he had in his mouth, and he gave me a good bite.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 11:10 PM
    Remember that Chow Chows can be an aggressive breed.

Obedience training is going to take time, it won't happen over night. Follow the advice given by labman, that is the way to go, you must establish yourself as leader. Until then be prepared to get bitten a few times, take precautions against injury. Good Luck.

May 1, 2008, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    Remember that Chow Chows can be an aggressive breed.

Obedience training is going to take time, it won't happen over night. Follow the advice given by labman, that is the way to go, you must establish yourself as leader. Until then be prepared to get bitten a few times, take precautions against injury. Good Luck.
    Is there something I can wear during training just in case he decides to bite?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 01:07 PM
    spop, I don't believe that there is anything that the everday consumer can buy that can make them safe when training a biting dog. You must keep in mind that a dog has enough power in it jaws to crush bones. My advice is to get a personal trainer if only for a few visits so that the dog can be assessed and you can be given methods to deal with biting issues.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 06:38 PM
    I second getting a professional involved in this. For one thing, you are understandably concerned about being bitten. But, because you are, you will find it difficult to project the authority that you need to get the dog under control, which in turn will make it more likely that the dog challenges you, which makes it more likely that you get bit. It's a vicious circle. Working with a professional will help give you confidence, which will make it easier to get the dog under control.

May 6, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Do I need to contact a dog wispher?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 7, 2008, 03:06 AM
    It wouldn't hurt you to get some of Caesar Millan's books, and watch the Dog Whisperer to get some tips, but like the others have mentioned, you need to get a professional involved, or you or someone else could be seriously hurt. Trust me, if you have an aggressive dog that isn't properly trained, you are looking for trouble!
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 11, 2008, 04:30 PM
    Is this dog neutered? If not, he should be ASAP. That won't stop the aggression but without the hormones his reactivity should step down a notch. At 1-1/2 years he is hitting "social maturity", the age where wild dogs or wolves would start to try for a higher position in the pack.
    You definitely need someone comfortable working with aggression issues. I like to watch Cesar Milan work with dogs, but I think it is asking too much to expect the average person to exude the "calm assertive energy" when said person has just been bitten!
    Along with asking your local vet and groomer for recommendations, look up the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) or the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) on the internet and see if you can find someone near you who is qualified.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 11, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by carolbcac
    Is this dog neutered? If not, he should be ASAP. That won't stop the aggression but without the hormones his reactivity should step down a notch. At 1-1/2 years he is hitting "social maturity", the age where wild dogs or wolves would start to try for a higher position in the pack.
    You definitely need someone comfortable working with agression issues. I like to watch Cesar Milan work with dogs, but I think it is asking too much to expect the average person to exude the "calm assertive energy" when said person has just been bitten!
    Along with asking your local vet and groomer for recommendations, look up the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior (AVSAB) or the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) on the internet and see if you can find someone near you who is qualified.
    I definitely agree with you, but you would be surprised the things that you remember about staying calm and assertive in those situtations. My dog got seriously attacked last wkd, and she required 86 stitches, and went into convulsions. She required emerg surgery, and just isn't the same dog at this point. Hopefully I can love her and help her enough to get ovet the attack.

It happened in the blink of an eye, but I believe if I didn't step into calm assertive energy, my little fur babe would've been killed. I completely surprised myself to be honest. I try and catch The Dog Whiperer whenever I can, just because it's interesting to watch, and I didn't even know I was doing any of Cesars' techniques... it just clicked in at the moment, and I got the Akita that attacked to back right off.

I'm not saying that would work for everyone, but I realised it certainly helped me, after the fact, to have watched his show. I'm definitely NOT recommending that anyone watch the show and think they know how to handle a dangerous aggressive dog, but some of the tips from the show sure don't hurt in a pinch. A professional should definitely be involved to get this dog trained, and under control for sure!

I just don't think that my sweet baby girl would be alive today if I had never watched Cesars show. However, I don't just watch his show, I'm a big dog /animal lover, so I read all I can on training techniques, so I suppose Cesar doesn't get all the credit! (LOL) ;)

Now I just have to focus on getting my girl better both physically and mentally. I really hope the OP gets help before she finds herself in the same situation as the owner of the dog that attacked mine is in now in, and before the dog bites another human!
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 11, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Thanks so much Carolbcac! I appreciate the well wishes!

Jul 7, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Ok. It has got a little worse now. Whenever I pet him and look at his mouth, for some strange reason, he take that as an offense. Next he starts growling and showing his teeth like he is about to attack me. I just yell at him, "Stop!!" I get my distance from him. I really need help taming this lion want to be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Where do I belong? [ 11 Answers ]

I was adopted at the age of 5. (my mom couldn't get pregnant)so they called me the child they never had. At the age of ten my mom got had the baby she's always wanted. HE GETS EVERYTHING he wants. I had to move out because I no longer get ANY positive attention at all. Me and my mom, our...

Where do I belong [ 2 Answers ]

I am writing on behalf of my daughter who will turn 13 soon. She was born in Cairns, North Qld, Australia. Since the day she was born until now. She does not have a Birth Certificate. I have forwarded letter to the concerned department in Australia, however, my letters have come back to...

Who does a leo belong with? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm a leo and need to know who I belong with cause a lot say I belong with scorpios so?

Do me and him belong? [ 23 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I love each other very much, but we fight fight fight. Sometimes our fights get violent (because of me) and we're not even 17... Our problem is that we are so in love.. or so in HATE! We live together not temporarily... and.. I don't know what to do anymore. We've been together for...

View more questions Search