Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handicapper212 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 03:42 PM
    Web pages print as html
    All web pages print as html code... doesn't matter what printer the page is directed to... bottom of page shows a file name that looks like and old dos file name with the name truncated and a tilde inserted. Must be a setting , can't find it. Would love to hear ideas
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 9, 2008, 07:28 PM
    I have an idea, Why don't we send George Steinbrenner far, far away from New York.

Please let me know what printers do you have available to you? Are any of them configured with an HTML Interpreter? I think Lexmark is now supplying some lasers with HTML, but I'm not sure.

Let's start with a real easy test. Start a MS Command line. Change the directory to the file's directory, please. Now, I would like you to start the MS line editor.

Type: edlin filename.extension /p

You should see the first page of the raw file displayed. Look at the file and tell me whether you see any HTML tags in the file. Press the <enter> button to display the next page. Keep going until you reach a section where you know for sure the Hyper Text was appearing in the printed page. If you don't see the HTML tags in the "edlin" dump of the file, then more then likely, your driver setup has been prefigured to send the data to the printer in HTML format. Oh by the way, if you do try using edlin, I believe that you use the letter "e" (no quotes) at the cursor and press <enter> to exit the line editor.

If you have a "Hex editor" use that instead of edlin it is much simpler. I use Hexedit. I think you can still get it from Tucows Download site > Hexeditors. The nice thing about Tucows.com is that it gets lots of freeware code and shareware applications, most of which allow you to download a trial version at no charge.

Let me know how it goes.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jan 16, 2008, 09:43 AM
    So far no response from original poster!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cannot print web pages [ 3 Answers ]

I have a lexmark X3350. I can print anything offline but when online I can't print anything. I have tried using the "file" section for printing, but when I click on print, nothing happens, I don't even get the box which details the printer and page nos, etc. please help as this is driving me...

Can't print web pages with new windows vista [ 5 Answers ]

I cannot print pages on the internet. Otherwise I can print from programs , etc. I have to copy the text and paste it to word pad. When I push print, an error box comes up and asks if I want to continue running scripts on this page with errors. I have a Dell Dim. DXC061, Intel Core 2 CPU, 6400...

Updating text on HTML pages at run-time [ 7 Answers ]

I am novice web-site developer with previous programming experience. I am creating a very basic brochure-style web site based on tables with Frontpage 2003 as the development tool. I am having difficulty trying to figure out how to program into a script the logic to be able to update a web page...

Can't print HTML messages in Outlook 2003 [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running Outlook 2003. When I try to print messages in HTML format, I get an error message that says 'An error has occurred in the script on this page.' A URL is given as res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdoclc.dll/preview.dlg. Then it says 'Do you want to continue running scripts on this page'. ...

Printer won't print web pages! [ 3 Answers ]

My HP psc 1200 series all-in-one printer works fine offline, but will not print webpages. When I try to print a web page, nothing happens... no error message... NOTHING! I've talked with HP support, no luck. I've downloaded all the latest service packs for IE, no luck. Everything is connected!...

View more questions Search