Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emmalou08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 12:04 PM
    Trying to get pregnant
    Hi I have been off the pill for 5 moths now and soon as I came off the pill my periods have gone back to normal and had my first normal period that was 5 moths ago I thought if yo periods go back to normal you should get pregnant quick?I have a normal 28 day cycle:) :) :)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 12:19 PM
    It can take as few as 3 months or as many as 6 months to begin ovulating properly after coming off the pill. Also understand that it still takes many healthy couples up to a year of actively trying before becoming pregnant.

Be sure you are taking a prenatal vitamin that contains folic acid. This will help prevent neural tube defects. These defects can manifest themselves even before you realize you are pregnant and are not reversible, aside from the possibility of surgery after the baby is born.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jan 8, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Your periods may appear normal, but it does't mean that your entire cycle (including ovulation) is without having more detailed information.

Normal cycles can range anywhere from around 24 - 33 days or more. Ovulation does not occur on day 14 for everyone, even if your cycles are 28 days. There are 3 primary ways to recognize ovulation including basal body tempratures, cervical fluids, and cervix positions. Do you know how to recognize any of these? A book I recommend to everyone is "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" by Toni Weschler. It can explain what I mentioned above.

Also, as J_9 mentioned, healthy couples can take up to a year to conceive. Once you get to a year with no result, you and your partner should see a doctor for a fertility exam. Those prenatals are a must have as well. Spina Bifida prevention for your future baby is one good reason to take them. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

4 weeks pregnant confirmed but not feeling pregnant [ 22 Answers ]

I'm 4 weeks pregnant started bleeding yesterday but it stopping now the problem is I'm not feeling any symptoms but then again I'm only 4 weeks are they to start around 10 weeks before my mood was at a high like I've never fely before my appetite has gone over the last few days but that might be...

Pregnant agen or still pregnant? [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! Had a misscariage 4 weeks ago and now have a positive pregnancy test result, my belly feels bloated and breasts feel tender all the pregnant symptoms but if I was less than four weeks would I be getting these feelings or is it possible I didn't have a misscaraig and am still...

Could I be pregnant? [ 2 Answers ]

I had sex two days before I got my period, it was light and then heavy and then light again and it lasted 2 days longer than normal. Which it usually is very heavy then very light and gone on the fourth day. Now this month my period is a week early and I have been spotting for the past three...

Being pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

IM 10w and 2d Pregnant today, apart from my boobs a bit sore and missed periods, I don`t feel any different yet. I've no morning sickness, I had a scan at 6w 2d and all looked good heartbeat was good too. So I know there is a baby growing, but I don't feel any different yet, am I worrying about...

Can I be pregnant [ 2 Answers ]

I went to the doctor today and my urine test came back negative but I still have the abdomen pain and my breast is real tender I have to do a pelvic exam next week can I be pregnant and the urine test still come back negative. I also haven't had my period for the whole month

View more questions Search