Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    preciousbaby Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2008, 02:25 PM
    I've found my soul mate but my family don't approve of him
    I'm in love with a man called michael and he feels the same for me too I feel he is my soul mate I've never loved anyone the way I love him
    I think about him day and night he is always on my mind he does be there for me though everything my highs and lows and I'm always there for him
    My family don't approve so we see each other in secret but we love each other so much I miscarried a few months ago and he was there for me every step of the way I was so low I wanted to end my life he said to me what would he do without me but it's the same for me what would I do without him his my rock and together we are strong
    We want to be together and maybe live together but the only thing is if we get together I will lose my family I'm willing to give up my family for this man as I feel his my soul mate but I wish my family would accept this relationship his always there for me why can there not accept him he did nothing wrong all he did was love me and if that's a crime I don't know I've got to choose between my family and michael but I don't know how he accepts my family but there won't accept him this is so unfair and its eating me away I wish I could have my family and michael but it looks like I have to pick one or the other so how do I choose between my family and the man I love who is always there for me
    Someone please help
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 02:33 PM
    First of all - how old are you and how old is Michael?
    Second - why doesn't your family approve of Michael?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 02:36 PM
    I'm curious like you, shy.

Why does your family object to Michael?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 02:37 PM
    Ok, Why doesn't your family approve of him? Is there a big age difference between the two of you? Are you a minor and he is not? Does he look like a dirty shifty person but really isn't, you know judging a book by it's cover type of thing? There has to be something.

I would NEVER choose someone over my family. As much as I can't stand being around most of my family they are still my family and if I was dating someone they didn't like I would really take that into consideration because your family knows you better then anyone else. But let us know why they don't approve of him and maybe we can help you figure out how they can approve of him.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Age is a huge factor here.

I'd hate to say this... but I was "in love" with my high school girlfriend, and my family objected. I hated my family for this... but it ended up that they were right. She was wrong for me... believe it or not, your family knows you better than anyone else. (quoting spitvenom).

Of course, this is not ALWAYS the case... but I'm just saying.

In my opinion, romeo and juliet were idiots. Really. Why die for another? They could have easily found someone else to fall in love with... avg human being falls in love 7 times in their entire life. It happens. Stupid kids.

Jan 7, 2008, 02:48 PM
    I'm 31 and michael is 34 the reason my family won't accept him is because he is divorced with 2 kids and my family are religious and don't believe in divorced as I know about his past and I accept him for who he is and I don't mind
    This is not a problem for me I know being involved with him means being involved with his children and he is a brilliant father who loves his children and there are his number ones no one will ever take that away from him
    My family just don't believe in divorce this is the way there were bought up I told them times have changed and people do this but there just don't accept that he is a divorcée and I should find someone who has no kids and has not been married
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Okay - you are more than an adult now and so is he. Time to make your own path in life. If him being divorced is the only thing your family can hold against him, then you just need to decide where your primary loyalty will be. Then do it.

Can he support you? Does he take responsibility for his children? What about his past? You say you accept him. Then is there a real issue? Only you can decide that. Only you.
    EuRa Posts: 315, Reputation: 64

Jan 7, 2008, 03:46 PM
    Your happiness is more important than anyone else's, including your family. It sounds selfish, but if you keep making decisions based on how your family feels, you will never be able to have a good life.

I say go for it. If your family disaproves, so what! They will come around eventually.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Go for the love of your life, some of your family will come along

But first and above all, don't sneak around, be honest, if they accept great, if they do not accept, tough,

My mother never accepted my wife, I have only seen her three times in the last ten years, one time was when my dad died.

Jan 7, 2008, 04:17 PM
    Thank you for your comments there mean a lot he can surport me financial and he takes responsibility in being a dad there are his life I know I'm old enough to decide but I just wish my family would back me up on this there say which is always true you can't change your family but you can with friends and partners and I wouldn't want to change my family I just wish there could be happy for me is that too much to ask for
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2008, 05:09 PM
    For some families, it is too much to ask. Some cannot change. If you pursue this relationship and get married, be prepared to not be invited to family events. I would hope your family has better manners than that but do not be surprised. Make your own family and your own traditions and celebrations. Invite your parents if you wish but you can certainly tell them that if they start in Michael, they can leave.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 09:52 PM
    Your old enough to make your own choices, and pay the consequenses of your actions. Live your life in the light, no matter what others say. Its your life, be happy with it, and Much Luck.
    count coco fang Posts: 27, Reputation: 0

Jan 7, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Just a little thought for you. My relationship is a long story, but I will share this with you.
    READ the book TOXIC PARENTS as well as the book EMOTIONAL BLACKMAIL
    They have helped me a great deal.
    Must sleep now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

He says I'm his soul mate. Why am I still so jealous? [ 4 Answers ]

All right, my boyfriend and I have been together for four and half years and totally love each other. I have always been really insecure and have had bouts with depression. He's always been really supportive of me and reassures me that he thinks I'm beautiful and that he loves me for who I am not...

Soul mate or many? [ 10 Answers ]

I would like to no iwhat people's thoughts are on the idea of a soul mate? Do you think that there is only one true love out there for us or do you think that there can be love found everywhere?:confused:

11 yrs later the soul mate is still here [ 11 Answers ]

The first day of college 11 years ago I met a man and we have been connected in what can only be explained as soul mates to both of us. He was in every single one of my classes on the first day and at the end of that day I walked right up to him and said "you are looking at me, I am looking at you,...

Dead Celebrity Soul Mate Search [ 11 Answers ]

Take the test. Who is your love match?:D Dead Celebrity Soulmate Search

Soul Mate who refuses to disclose anything [ 6 Answers ]

I am talking to this person via email and a few times over the phone. I feel he is my soul mate. I could be wrong. He would not even answer a simple question like what kind of music he likes. Why does he not answer my simple question. I want to know everything about him but he would not let me...

View more questions Search