Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SLCamp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Dealing with "Old Smokey" a coal furnace
    Does anyone out there know about coal furnaces? Sounds silly but you would not believe how hard it is to get help with one of these monsters. By working and taking the
    Thing apart several times my daughter finally was able to install a new gear box and motor but in the meantime the thermostat seems to have stopped working and the clock is only
    Running the stoker on hold fire. We put in a new mercury switch type and it is level so my
    Next guess is something else on the furnace.
    On the furnace bonnet there are 2 boxes, one is the limit control but I have no idea what the other one is except that the wire that comes out of it goes into the same place that
    The thermostat wires go, and on the front of this box is a little switch that say automatic or
    Manual. Does this have to do with the thermostat?
    Thanks for any help anyone can give.
    SLCamp
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 06:18 PM
    One is a limit and the other is for the coal stoker. The thermostat passes through the switch and the switch tells the stoker to add coal. It also acts as a stop so too much coal is not added. It has been 30 years since I worked on one so I do not have much onfo to offer. I used to keep all the different stoker shear keys on the truck as a memento.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant furnace: thermostat showing "AC", house cold, fixed (for now.) [ 1 Answers ]

System: Bryant 333BAV 80 plus furnace, 10 yrs old, with Honeywell Chromotherm III thermostat. No problems with either in the past. Minnesota. January. Upon waking up this morning, found the house was 58 degrees, with set point at 68. Checking the thermostat, found it was showing "AC" (power...

Nordyne Furnace "burner limit circuit open", during A/C operation [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all, Hope this makes sense and required info is present. Any help or suggestions is appreciated, thanks. Furnace brand is Nordyne, about 3 years old, cooling portion model# of unit is JS3BA-036KA. This issue started last week. The A/C still works, but now the blower portion? Doesn't shut...

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Furnace "burner limit circuit open", How to fix? [ 2 Answers ]

The furnace in my vacant rental property does not light. The blower runs but the igniter never glows and the gas valve does not open. The LED blinks once which means the burner limit circuit is open. How do I replace the burner limit circuit? Inside the furnace cover I found the electronic...

View more questions Search