Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlee49 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 10:04 PM
    F-1 art seller taxes
    Hey guys,

I am a graduted student living in US with F-1 visa,

In 2007 I sold my artwork to a company

And today I received this email from them?

" I am in need of your social security number for tax purposes. We paid you $1,000 in 2007 and are required to send you a 1099 Form. Also, which address should I send it to? Please let me know as soon as possible so I can forward this information onto our accountant. Below is a link to form W9 which explains what I need from you…"

What should I do guys, I have a social security number, but since I don't work I don't file tax return and I don't even know which one to file

Pleasse help :confused:
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 03:57 AM
    W9 is for residents. You are a nonresident alien. The form for nonresidents is W-8BEN.
    So tell the company that you are not a resident or a U.S. citizen.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 08:30 AM
    You STILL need to provide the SSN, be it on W-9 or W-8BEN.

Now, you may be in technical violation of your F-1 visa, but it is not a huge problem. If you are concerned, post the question in the LAW forum under Immigration Law.

File the tax return with Schedules C attached to your Form 1040NR. Failing to do so will get in in MUCH more trouble than the visa violation.
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 09:38 PM
    If this is jlee49's only income, I don't think he/she is required to file the tax return. Non resident return is need if the income exceeds $3,400.
    Also is it necessary for the company to get jlee49's tax ID? They only made a purchase.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Any transfer of funds in that amount for that kind of purchase has to be reported via Form 1099 if the purchase is from a private party like an artist.
    Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Then it will be self employed income. jlee49 must file tax return if the income is over $400.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Agreed!

Jan 7, 2008, 03:12 PM
    How about if I just ignore that company all together, or pretend that I left the country, don't you think it will be the easiest way?;)

By the way, thank you so much for all of your replies, I didn't expect this much help
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 7, 2008, 07:42 PM
    It may be the easiest way to act, but it is ILLEGAL. Sorry.

Recommend you provide the requested SSN.
    Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 12:00 AM
    jlee49:
    Yes, you can safely provide your SSN or ITIN. If you don't have ITIN, tell this to the company and ask them what you should do.
    About tax consequence, you don't need to worry much. You don't have a taxable income and also you you are exempt from SE taxes as nonresident.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Agreed; the tax consequence is negligible, if not non-existent.

Jan 8, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Again, I apprichiat all the help, thank you so much, you guys have been very useful, my friend recommended a good CPA (constant pain in the :p ) so we'll figure out this thing, nevertheless thank you people:)

Jan 8, 2008, 03:22 PM
    Again, I appreciate all the help, thank you so much, you guys have been very useful, my friend recommended a good CPA (constant pain in the azz :p ) so we'll figure out this thing, nevertheless thank you people:)
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 8, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I would like to know if the seller should be responsible? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased an older renovated home last year and I had major cracks (vertically and horizontally) throughout one of my rooms. I can also see that the floor is sinking. Looking closely I can tell that this had happened before and that it was patched up and never mentioned. The neighbour mentioned...

Seller Contributions [ 2 Answers ]

What exactley can the seller pay towards?

Seller defaulted [ 2 Answers ]

I have just looked at my contract and realized that the seller of out contract for deed has defaulted by charging me interest on my "on-time" payments, when in our contract, it states that NO INTETREST will be taken out for "on-time" payments, and that the only time Interest will be taken out is...

Private Seller [ 4 Answers ]

I recently sold a car to a guy who checked out the condition of the car and test drove it twice before purchasing. The car was in good working condition and the only thing that really needed to be done was having the ac recharged. Now after having the car for a week the guy is claiming there are...

Seller of vehicle lied! [ 5 Answers ]

I need a bit of advice and was wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them. My husband, very eager to find an older Nissan Pathfinder in decent shape, with decent milage. Well, he thought he found one, we drove 3 1/2 hours one way in a horrible snowstorm to look at the vehicle. ...

View more questions Search