Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hiscuddlebug Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2008, 06:39 PM
    How to keep him happy while he's gone
    :]] My question is, How do you keep a guy happy when he's gone all the time on the road? I know sending cute (e-mails-text-pictures) is something they enjoy. But, what about when the conversations get shorter and little less intense and its always the same thing. I have tried finding different things to talk about but I'm still learning about him. So, any ideas? I don't want to talk him death and over sweet him or anything but I don't want to loose him ither. I want to do something special for him when he comes home to so :]] help me out.. :p
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 4, 2008, 07:45 PM
    When I was first married, my husband was an over the road truck driver. Gone from Sunday afternoon to Friday, late afternoon or early evening. Back then there was no such thing as cell phones or text messages. Had to be a bit more creative. I would pack his suitcase and tuck in little coupons good for, as an example, a back rub or a bubble bath or breakfast in bed or his favorite meal, or something even a bit sexier. I would also pack his first day's meals for him (he never wanted anything fancy) and tuck in some of his favorite treats or get his Mom to make one of his favorite desserts and include that in his cooler. One time he said he had wanted a particular book about Alaska and the library did not have it yet, so I went to the bookstore and bought it and put it in his briefcase.

You find those sweet little things that he would not think of but would be oh so glad you thought of. You could write some racy scene that involved you and him and text pieces of it to him each day. Anything goes.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Jan 4, 2008, 11:19 PM
    I find that men, particularly in newer relationships, compartmentalize their lives. Work is work, personal life is personal life. One way you can make him feel supported is to continue your own life when he's gone and not go overboard telling him and acting like you miss him. While it's nice for him to know you'd like to be with him all the time, sometimes that can make a person feel guilty instead of needed. He will feel badly for not being there for you. So, be supportive of his work and instead of coming up with things to say and do to keep him happy, just take an interest in where he's going, what he's hauling, and him in general. Be a good listener.

Don't grill him to find out if he's meeting other women or anything like that. Men hate that. And don't overdo the cute stuff. A note in his suitcase is nice. Or hide a candy bar under the seat of his vehicle, and then call him at 3 one afternoon and tell him there's something there for him from you. Even big boys like surprise candy!

When he gets home, keep in mind he may be really tired and may want some time to look through his mail, unpack and relax before he attends to your relationship. Give him some time, and he will be a lot more receptive to the relationship in general, and to your attention in the moment especially.

Above all, take his cues. If he seems annoyed when you call him when he's driving, ask him if there's a particular time he preffers to touch base. If he seems to like when you're calling, make it a habit without intruding on his concentration on the road. Basic consideration and a balance of attention and space are appreciated by most people I have known over the years.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 10:43 AM
    I want to do something special for him when he comes home to so :]] help me out.. :p
    A nice meal, a hot bath, a cold beer, A hot woman. What more could a man want??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Happy to you all [ 1 Answers ]

Happy thanksgiving everyone

Not Happy [ 1 Answers ]

Im not happy with my other half and its driving me nuts I don't know what to do? Trust me I've tried everything I think that we bring out the worst in each other I'm just scared of making that next step in going our separate ways:(

I haven't been really happy with him [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for two years, we just had a baby, but for the past two years of being together, I haven't been really happy with him. He's in the military and he's always busy with so many things, but he never makes time for me. Our communication is bad, every time we talk, we...

He is never Happy! [ 2 Answers ]

MY husband and I have been married for 2 years, It seems that no matter what I do or how I do it, it is never the right thing for him. I am currently attending college in a very competetive program which requires intense studying sometimes, I also work full time and have one school aged child. I...

Happy Passover, Happy Easter! [ 22 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all my friends on the board greetings for the spring season... If you're Jewish like my family, a very Happy Pesach and Good Seder! If you're Christian, a very Happy Easter! If you have some other religious practice that I've missed, please add it here if you like,...

View more questions Search