Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lavenderly Posts: 88, Reputation: 23

Jan 3, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Alpha feto protein
    What is Alpha feto protein?

I checked it out in the internet and read that it is mostly found in high degrees in infants. My sister had recently taken a blood test that includes cancer markers. The result was positive for AFP. She is 18 now.

What could be the reason for higher levels of AFP? It was said to be a symptom of liver or ovarian cancer. But are there other reasons or explanations to this thing called AFP present in the body?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) is a molecule produced in the developing embryo and fetus. In humans, AFP levels decrease gradually after birth, reaching adult levels by 8 to 12 months. Normal adult AFP levels are low, but detectable; however, AFP has no known function in normal adults.

There are other reasons for it to be present, such as pregnancy, some tumors, hodgkins disease, lymphoma and kidney cancer, as well as cirrhosis of the liver, and chronic active hepatitis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alpha Arbutin [ 28 Answers ]

Has anyone used it and what was the outcome? Thanks. :)

Protein haemoglobin and protein collagen [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me anything about protein haemoglobin and portein collagen or were I can find any information on the two

What is an alpha-male? [ 4 Answers ]

I've head this term been used many times, but don't know exactly what it is. Could someone enlighten me? Wikipedia didn't help!

Radiation, range of alpha particles [ 5 Answers ]

Alpha particles lose 5 x 10(-18) J of kinetic energy in each collision they make with an air molecule. An alpha particle traveling through air at STP undergoes around 5(5) ionising collisions with the air molecules for each centimeter of air they travel through. Calculate the range of the alpha...

View more questions Search