Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcolimon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 11:26 PM
    Breaker wiring
    What kind of wire do I need for a 250 amp breaker?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2008, 03:33 AM
    Generally, either #250 MCM copper with THHN/THWN insulation, or 300 MCM aluminum with XHHW insulation.

Any great length, high ambient temperature, or more than 4 current carrying conductors would require larger wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fried outlet, breaker, or wiring? [ 11 Answers ]

My wife was using her hair dryer in one of 3 bathroom outlets when it quit working. The breaker did not appear to be tripped, I reset it anyway. None of the 3 outlets work so I replaced all three. I put 2 gfci and one regular outlet. They still do not work, although I put a meter on all three and...

Water Heater; Breaker Wiring? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I'm installing a new electric water heater. All plumbed and wired to the heater. Just picked up a new 30amp breaker, ready to put in the panel. 10/2 wire…At the tank; red to white, black to black, green grounded. My question is about wires to the breaker? Green is easy that’s the...

Circuit Breaker Difference and Wiring Requirement [ 1 Answers ]

Is a 20 amp 2 pole Tandem, the same as a 20 amp 2 pole ? I do not know which breaker to use - i.e. one about 1 inch wide or The one that is about twice that size. Also, what gauge wire and Breaker size do I need for the following: I bought an Wall Oven and Drop In Cooktop The data plate...

Arc fault breaker wiring [ 1 Answers ]

Can I power two arc fault protected circuits through one 14-3 feeder? I intend to install two arc fault breakers in the panel and route the power to two bedrooms through a single run of 14-3 cable.

Wiring AC condenser to Breaker Box [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a home that had a few vandal problems. It seems someone was trying to steal most of the pieces to the breaker box while it set empty during sale. The closing company had most of it repaired during closing, but turns out today *the hottest day in a month* the wire from...

View more questions Search