Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike1977 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Moving shower drain for tub installation
    I'm getting ready to replace my walk in shower with a whirlpool tub. My question is about moving the drain which is in a concrete slab. The drain currently sits right about center where I need it but needs to move back about 16 1/2 to the back wall. I'm prepared to tear out the concrete to move the drain but want to make sure I do it correctly. The 2" drain line right now runs about 2 feet straight down which I assume is where the p trap is located since I can see the water sitting there. So my question is can I cut the pipe apx 12" down or however far I need to and install a 45 degree angle and run the pipe over to where I need it? If not, please advise what will need to be done. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2008, 06:48 AM
    The "P" trap"s located directly beneath the raiser. The trap and raiser will need to be roughed in at 1 1/2" off the front plate and 15 1/2" off the wall.
    You're not going to be able to tell anything until you open up the slab and see which way the trap's coming from. Only then will you know what fittings it will take to move the trap into position. Open the floor up and tell me where the trap sets now in relation to where you wish it to go. Let me know. Tom
    mike1977 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 01:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    The "P" trap"s located directly beneath the raiser. The trap and raiser will need to be roughed in at 1 1/2" off the front plate and 15 1/2" off the wall.
    you're not gonna be able to tell anything until you open up the slab and see which way the trap's coming from. Only then will you know what fittings it will take to move the trap into position. Open the floor up and tell me where the trap sets now in relation to where you wish it to go. Let me know. Tom

I'm not sure that I'm quite understanding you. When you say 1 1/2" off the front plate, is that referring to the wall the front of the tub goes against? Also I guess my question really is can I simply just cut the raiser down about 12" and add a 45 degree angle to curve it over to the new location and then bring the 2" pipe down to 1 1/2" with a fitting? I'm not seeing how I will be able to get to the p trap without removing lots of concrete being its at least 2 feet down and the soil is soft and will probably just keep caving in on me. Maybe I could get to it, but adding the angle sure sounds easier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving a shower drain in the basement. [ 1 Answers ]

We are moving the drain in our shower so that we can install a prefab shower. We already have the cement dug up. What size and what kind of piping do we need to use for this drain?

New Basement Shower Drain Installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hello All, I currently have a basement bathroom with just a toilet and a sink. I'm planning on installing a corner shower utilizing the Kerde Schluter system. As there is no rough in for the shower drain, I guess my main questions are: How deep into the concrete slab do I have to dig in...

Shower Drain Installation [ 3 Answers ]

As part of a remodeling effort, we are having a tiled shower built in our guest bathroom. We had a plumber come out to run the water and drain lines. He installed the drain. Last night I noticed that the hole he cut in the plywood sub flooring is quite a bit larger than the drain, so that...

Shower drain installation [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm installing a new shower base that came with a self caulking drain (has a rubber caulking ring that tightens round the 2" waste pipe). When the shower base is in position the drain is ever so slightly off center and I can't get the rubber ring over the waste pipe. The drain is set in...

Shower drain installation [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning, I am installing a shower floor pan with an integral drain. Should any lubricant be used to install the seal around the 2" drain pipe? Thank you, Jk

View more questions Search