Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JasonG079 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Shower clog/backup
    In the master bathroom we have a stand-up shower and an adjacent bathtub. When taking a shower the water begins to back up and overflow the shower, then it will slowly drain. Also, after using the bathtub and draining the water, the shower again backs up and overflows into the bathroom and leaves a gray deposit of some type. We have used a snake in the stand up shower and nothing happened. We also tried the snake in the drain opening pipe outside the house and nothing came out. Should I try running the snake down the vent above the bathroom? Any other suggestions on what I could do to solve this problem?

Thanks, Jason
    jstreet Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 09:44 PM
    Close the bathtub drain.
    Remove the cover on the shower drain to expose the drain pipe.
    Turn on the shower until water backs up into the bottom.
    Using a wet/dry shop vac place the hose firmly on the drain to seal the gap and turn it on. It will usually suck the obstruction out due to the added water pressure. If this does not work you can also use the blower function if shop vac is equipped by repeating all the steps and using blow instead of vac.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 3, 2008, 06:59 AM
    The problem is that either you didn't put out enough snake to reach the blockage or the cable was too small to do any good. Try the shop vac but if that doesn't work go back to the snake.
    You may snake from any one of three spots. 1) go down the shower drain. Put out 20 feet of snake.
    2) remove the chrome overflow plate on the bathtub and go down the tub waste. Again, put out 20 feet.
    3) go down the lavatory roof vent. Put out enough cable to reach the base and 20 feet more. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower causes toilet to bubble & clog [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower that is close to a toilet. Infrequently, when someone it taking a shower the toilet will eventually start bubling (with big bubbles). And it seems that usually afterwards the toilet will be clogged (sometimes the shower drain gets clogged too). After awhile, though, the clog...

Backup into shower [ 1 Answers ]

Ok here is my problem. I live in an older mobile home and have been having some plumbing problems recently. When I run the washing machine or shower sewage backs up into the shower until I turn whatever I'm running off while it goes back down the drain and also water spills out all over the floor...

Gurgling in shower drain and some backup [ 1 Answers ]

When I run two loads of laundry back to back, I am hearing gurgling in the downstairs shower of a split foyer home with bathroom on ground level slab. Sometimes the water rises up in the shower and then recedes immediately. The toilet downstairs is turned off with the level of water in the bowl...

Shower Drain Clog [ 4 Answers ]

Hi.We have a stand alone shower that within the last year has clogged 2 times.Both times we took off the shower cover and picked out hair and debris with a hanger.Is there a way to keep the hair from trapping in the pipe and just catching it before it goes down?We have a 4 inch drain cover with two...

View more questions Search