Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PTsquared Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Cutting my husband's hair
    My husband and I moved to Germany about 6 months ago, and he's can't find someone that will cut his hair in the style he wants; and the language barrier is making it difficult to communicate. His style is pretty simple and I think I can cut it, but would like some advice before I try it myself. His style is... use a #4 on the sides and back and then blend the top into the sides leaving the top a little longer. Can anyone give me any good advice on where to start first?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 04:36 PM
    Hair grows back, you try, if you mess up, it grows back and you try again.

And can always laught about the oopss.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Jan 2, 2008, 05:03 PM
    It's difficult to give haircutting advice over the Internet. To avoid a botched hair cut, I think you should let a professional or someone who has experience with hairstyling cut your husband's hair. If your husband doesn't know how to communicate with the hair stylists, tell him to show them a picture of the hair cut he wants. Most salons have books and magazines of different hair styles.

Jan 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Pretty Lady: I have read through your previous responses and expected this type of "standard" response from you. I posted my question on this site because I am looking for help. You must not understand how stressful and difficult it is to move to a foreign country where you do not speak the language. You give the advice that my husband should seek a professional or experienced stylist to cut his hair - we have already tried that route more than once (including a picture) and it has not worked, which is why I posted my question. Like most of us, we all want to look our best - especially when we're professionals.

Thank you for your "canned" response. I will continue my search for for advice elsewhere.
    -

Jan 3, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Again, it's impossible for me to give you haircutting instructions over the Internet, especially when I don't know what your husband's hair looks like. I always make sure that I give the members precise advice so that they don't ruin their skin or hair, but I cannot work miracles. Most hair stylists are able to cut their clients hair from looking at pictures. I don't understand why it hasn't worked for you. My sister lives in Germany, and even though her first language is english, she learned German and speaks it very well. There are people who speak fluent english in Germany. So if you're having a hard time communicating with the hair stylists there, you should ask someone whose bilingual to translate for you.

I understand that you and your husband want to look your best since you're "professionals". If the both of you really want to look your best, and don't want a botched at-home haircut, seek help from a professional hair stylist. You can go elsewhere for haircutting advice, but others will tell you the same thing.
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Jan 3, 2008, 04:54 PM
    I'm not sure how you expect anyone to give you a lesson in cutting hair over the internet. You said, "Like most of us, we all want to look our best - especially when we're professionals." In that case you need to find someone who is a professional hair cutter, other wise your husbands not going to look very professional walking around with a "botched at-home hair cut"(as PrettyLady puts it).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 3, 2008, 06:44 PM
    Cutting mens hair on some basic designs are just very easy, anyone really can do it. Many of the hair cutting sets come with a DVD that even gives advice. I have cut my kids hair for years and years, my wife did mine great from the first try.

*** she did forget the blade cover that one time, but heck bald was in style for a bit.
    -

Jan 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
    PTsquared, has stated that she and her husband are professionals, and want her husband to look his best. It's not easy to cut men's hair if you don't have any haircutting experience. Shorter hair is more difficult to cut. Only trained hair stylists or barbers will be able to achieve a proper haircut to accommodate their professional identities.

Salons and barber shops can do these types of haircuts. If she wants her husband to have a good haircut, it's best to show the stylist a picture of the desired hair cut. It doesn't matter if stylists don't understand english, they can look at pictures and accomplish any type of haircut. But PTsquared member thinks I'm psychic and that I can give her instructions on how to cut her husband's hair over the Internet.

Jan 4, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Pretty Lady - I have read through your previous responses, and you HAVE given instruction over the internet - STEP BY STEP as a matter of fact. I understand that you do not want to give me advice - that is your choice and I accept it. Since that's the case, then please do not answer my question or even respond for that matter. As I stated previously, I posted my question looking for help.

I am happy your sister lives in Germany and she can get her hair cut by someone that knows how to do it. I thought I was clear when explained the type of cut my husband has and what type of advice I was looking for - restated from my original posting... "His sytle is pretty simple and I think I can cut it, but would like some advice before I try it myself. His style is .. use a #4 on the sides and back and then blend the top into the sides leaving the top a little longer. Can anyone give me any good advice on where to start first?"

I was not looking for step by step instructions to cut the whole head, just good advice as to where to start first.

"This Member" as you called me never stated that you were "psychic" nor do I appreciate your sarcasm in your responses. I never asked you specifically to give me instruction, so please do not flatter yourself by thinking that I posted my question directly for you. I was merely asking for simple advice as to where to start first. I think it was very kind of you to have previously given hair cutting advice; but obviously you are only a part of this network to answers questions when you are in the proper frame of mind. I guess I caught you on a bad day. My loss. Thank you very much for your help and advice and have a nice day.

Fr Chuck: Thank you for your kind responses and advice. I will be sure to remember the blade when I cut my husband's hair and will give you an update after.

Thanks again!
    -

Jan 4, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Obviously, you've read the haircutting advice I've given in the past, therefore, you did expect me to give you haircutting advice. I was reluctant about giving step-by-step haircutting instructions on the Beauty & Skin Care forum, but the members sent me pictures with pacific details, and I was able to assist them. It's hard to give haircutting instructions to someone on the Internet if you don't know what the person looks like. I've stopped doing this for a long time ago. If you're professionals and want to look your best, you should invest in a good haircut by going to a salon. To avoid a bad haircut, I've respectfully told you to take a picture with you to a salon and have a professional hair stylist cut your husband's hair. However, you were hostile and started insulting me. I'm sure you don't want your husband walking around with bald spots on his head or an uneven hair cut, so it is best to let a trained hair stylist cut his hair.

If you really want to cut your husband's hair yourself, I will make an exception in your case and give you some simple instructions. Since you have no experience with haircutting, keep in mind that you could end up botching his hair.

From your description, it sounds like a Taper cut. This is done with electric clippers. If you have a clipper, attach the #4 comb to it. Make sure that your husband's hair is slightly wet or damp before you cut it. Then start by placing the clipper at the bottom of his neck and run the clipper repeatedly at the back of his head and work your way to the sides and then the top. When your done, use your scissors and comb to blend the hair. It's called scissors-over-comb technique. Take the comb and elevate the hair slightly, and cut with your scissors to remove any excess hair. This will give you a more blended effect. For a finished look, you can use a styling gel or pomade to style his hair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting hair [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me how to go about 'texturizing' the top of my hair for volume?

Hair Cutting [ 2 Answers ]

How can I layer the top of my hair only. Do I hold the hair straight up vertically or horizontally? Do I cut it straight off. Do I cut from front to back, or back to front? I'm trying but need three hands. I know there is an easier way. Thanks for the help in advance. Glad to be on board. ...

Cutting hair [ 1 Answers ]

I love to cut hair. Although I am not licensed. I do a lot of haircuts for friends and family. I am trying to find step by step guide and/or instructions on how to cut a short shag haircut.

Hair cutting/layering help [ 12 Answers ]

:confused: Hello all, I wear extensions and I apply them myself. I am having a problem blending my hair with the extension hair because mine stops at my neck and the extensions stop at my bra strap. The sides of my hair stop at my ears, and there is a visible difference. It looks cut...

View more questions Search