Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    divine1992 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 10:45 AM
    Parental Right
    My child is a few months shy of turning 16 years of age. My child's biological father has not been a part of my child's life for the past twelve years other than an occasional phone call once/twice a year. The last twelve months, my child has not heard from this biological at all. My husband has been wanting to adopt my child and my child wants my husband to adopt but the biological would not sign the papers ten years ago. Can my husband and I petition the court to allow this adoption to take place on the permise of abandonement? How expensive would this process be to take place? Is there a better remedy for us?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Your ex will still be notified, and have the right to come to court and protest. So it is not going to be easy if he will not sign over his rights to adopt.
    Attorneys all charge different rates, but my guess ( and a guess) they would start with a retainer of 5000, and go from there if there is a lot of court appearances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental rights [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 and a half yr old daughter from the time I told the father I was pregnant he moved to a new state and has not had or wanted anything to do with her, now that she's turning 3 he has told someone close to me that he wants to see her and spend time with her, he from my view is not a fit...

Parental relinguishment [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 9 yr old daughter who has not seen her bioligical father in nearly 3 yrs. Nor has he contacted her through this time in anyway. I am lucky if I see child support payments once a yr. My question is, if he willingly relinguishes parental rights, will it still be up to the judge to do so? ...

Parental rights in VA [ 8 Answers ]

My daughter is 4 now, she was born in VA. Her father was not present at the time of birth and only claimed his child after a paternity test I paid for. His name is not on the birth certififcate but we have been amicable for the past 4 years. Our current "agreement" verbally only, nothing legal,...

Parental Rights? [ 14 Answers ]

So, here is the background on my daughter's father: He only comes around once a year, even tough he is entitled to visits once a month (supervised), he isn't paying child support, and to top it all off when I was 3 months pregnant I found out he is a convicted child molester. Now that she is...

Parental Rights [ 6 Answers ]

If a woman is married and has an affair that results in a child, I realize that by law the husband is presumed to be the father unless a paternity test proves otherwise. However, can the biological father come in a year or two down the road and insist on a paternity test, visitation, etc. I...

View more questions Search